Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile - What's It Like?

Options
  • 06-10-2017 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently with Eir, having been a Meteor customer for the last 12 years or so. I moved from Bill Pay of 10+ years to a monthly plan a while back as I had been on an old plan with a poor amount of data. Phone is a Samsung Galaxy S5 so it's time for an upgrade.

As I have a work phone (Galaxy S7) I'm thinking about changing to their €30 a month plan with €99 up front for the Galaxy S7. What's their coverage like? I'm not too worried about data out and about as I'd be on Wi-Fi at home/work and sure I have the work phone which is with Vodafone and the data plan is excellent.

Really I just want to upgrade my phone but as it's a 2 year contract I want to find out if it's absolutely rubbish or bearable.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just buy it outright. Dont lock yourself into a "meh" MVNO for 2yrs.

Be aware that issues with short code numbers used by Banks, Paypal, Park By Text, Radio stations etc etc still persists AFAIK. This can mean porting to Tesco/ID/VM/Lyca and suddenly not being able to make a bank transfer or standing order.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ingrid7

my 24m contract with Tesco Mobile is up and I'm glad to leave this company

They charge crazy amount of money if you use extra data on your phone+ you can upgrade only a month before the contract is up= you have to wait 23 months..
    Also they don't offer any discounts on the phone prices if you want to upgrade.No benefits for loyal customers at all...
    Rubbish..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Awful mobile phone company, the signal is so bad and it's only 3G, they should stick to groceries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Roaming data doesn't work. Leaving was best thing i did. Great CS, crap network

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Got disconnected while roaming in Greenland as charges ware crazy and limit reached .. contacted customer services they ware less than useless,, Tole me to go to McDonald to get wifi to pay on line as could not tale card over phone .. Local town had a population of 7,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well, seems they don't have a great reputation going by the postings here. Guess I'll stay away so. Many thanks.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Tesco mobile don't own their own network. they are a virtual operator using the old o2 network. i have one of my kids using TM and she is delighted with the service. the price is good, no issues with data etc, and in my area signal is better than vodafone.

the key here is to try out the signal is your area. In my personal expereince they are grand, and the price if v good, 15 euro topup a month and your sorted, no contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

They're not great. Coverage is poor, huge charges for going over your allowance, expensive for what you get. However, I did find their customer service good and helpful.

Advertisement