Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find proof of Malware

Options
  • 06-10-2017 7:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey,

I received my laptop back from a repair shop yesterday, and soon after booting I went into Chrome and found some adware called Addonjet messing with my searches. This clearly wasn't there when I dropped it in, and after I checked my search history it felt pretty much confirmed that the people who repaired my laptop had put it there. On Monday, when it was still in their care, there was a single search for "bbc", which seemed to me like a test to ensure the adware was working fine.

For what it's worth my repair was for a broken screen, so using the laptop past the log-in screen was wholly unnecessary.

I'm sure this wouldn't be too hard to remove, but I'd like to see if there's some way for me to find evidence of when it was installed. If they've done it to me, they've probably done it to a host of others, and I'd like to report them to the police.

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this, but I was pretty unsure of where to go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Easiest way is probably by using the "Control Panel" >>> "Uninstall a Program" option and checking the installed on date. Might be an idea to click on the "Installed On" column and sort by date to check for any other applications installed at the same time.

You could also search in windows explorer for any files created or modified between the dates it was in the shop.

Advertisement