Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric guitar

Options
  • 05-10-2017 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Looking for my first electric guitar in Dublin. Playing an acoustic for the last 14months ish. Budget for guitar and amp would be less than 500, unless there's a good reason?

Interests are rock and would like to get into blues/lead although nowhere near that level technically. No plans to play anywhere than outside my bedroom and even then would be using earphones to avoid asking the house.

Would appreciate any recommendations of where to go or types to consider

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Ryder wrote: »
    e.
    Would appreciate any recommendations of where to go

Bargains to be had here from time to time.

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/music-instruments-equipment/guitar-bass/guitars/electric-guitars/441/price_250-500/

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Rigsby wrote: »
    e.
    Would appreciate any recommendations of where to go

Bargains to be had here from time to time.

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/music-instruments-equipment/guitar-bass/guitars/electric-guitars/441/price_250-500/

Thanks for that. Literally never played an electric so should probably start in a guitar shop to see which suits best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Buying new: you'll see starter packs of Squier affinity plus amp for about €300-350. Ok for starters.

I would recommend, though looking for either a Squier Vintage Modified series guitar, Vintage brand guitar, or possibly an Epiphone. Have a look out for Yamaha too. Most of these might fall around the €350-€400 mark. That will leave you with enough for a practice amp. Some of the small ones (Blackstar) have a good reputation for their size, and are perfectly fine for bedroom playing.

As for style - Strat style is always going to be pretty versatile for starting off, but if you have a preference for a certain style (LP, SG Tele etc.) there *should* be options available

As Rigsby said, there is a good deal to be had on the second hand market, but I understand you wanting to go new starting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I'd go for a yamaha pacifica starting off. 2 on adverts at the moment for 150 each. Obviously bring someone who knows guitars with you if you're going down that route. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

50 quid would probably get you a roland microcube. 200 quid all in for the guitar and the amp. I wouldn't pay any more than that starting out on the electric. Upgrade when you outgrow them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Thanks. Literally know no one who plays guitar....unless it's in secret, so new seems a safer option.

If that price point gets a good guitar will look at the epiphone les Paul or squier.

Any recommendations for a helpful shop on Dublin?

• Administrators Posts: 53,458 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Thanks. Literally know no one who plays guitar....unless it's in secret, so new seems a safer option.

If that price point gets a good guitar will look at the epiphone les Paul or squier.

Any recommendations for a helpful shop on Dublin?

Waltons on Georges St, also in Blanch shopping centre if they're closer.

I have started playing the past few months, would recommend getting a decent second hand guitar and spending money getting a decent amp. The cheap amps will just frustrate you IMO.

Advertisement