Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gameboy Classic for 2018??

Options
  • 05-10-2017 12:21pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So,
    Lots of people out there are speculating about what Nintendo will release in 2018 as the Mini Classic console, with an N64 Mini being most often quoted.

I really don't think it's software library is going to hold up, visually at least, in the modern era.

So, with that in mind, what about a Gameboy Classic instead?

A crisp colour screen, a library of Gameboy/Color titles installed, a HDMI out for Super Gameboy type functionality and allowing the use of expanded titles like Space Invaders and Donkey Kong.

Probably rechargeable and a slim but retro design.

So,

Would you buy one?
    If so, what would just have to be included in the 30 or so games onboard?
    And, what price should it be?

Would you buy a Nintendo Gameboy Classic in 2018? 36 votes

Yes, absolutely
    0% 0 votes
    No, N64 Mini Classic FTW!!
    33% 12 votes
    No, no interest in it at all
    47% 17 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    19% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

For me, I already have enough portable options that would make this unnecessary. I have my Switch, my phone and I also have a portable Android based emulator that plays plenty of other games.
    Never had a gameboy back in the day either so I have no nostalgia associated with any of the games for it.

An N64 mini could potentially tempt me, even though I have an original in the wardrobe at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd buy the N64 one because I'm an idiot but like you say the N64 holds up really poorly. The 3D Graphics look blury and indistinct, the controller was only ever suited to a handful of games and control systems had yet to be defined.

Think for a handheld, I'd prefer a GBA Classic than a Gameboy one. I think the simplicity of the original Gameboy games due to the hardware limitations mean the games haven't really aged well.

Outside of Tetris and maybe Mario Land, I'm not sure there's much I'd want to play at all. Contrast that with the likes of Advance Wars, the Castlevanias, Metroid Zero, Golden Sun, Warioware, Astroboy and Fire Emblem, and there's some amazing games there without even taking the SNES ports into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Man, I'd love to play Blast Corps again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

When the DS + an unmentionable card already give you access to the full library of DS, GBA, GBC and GB games, given how common both pieces of hardware are, is there any market?

While you could, in theory, do the same thing with the original SNES, I think the combination of the comparitive rarity and and cost of the hardware to do it, as well as the NES And SNES minis offering HDMI out, make them more sensible options. Wouldn't the inclusion on a screen have a huge impact on the cost of the mini?

Also, you'd have to include a Pokemon game or two. And if you did, you'd have to allow for communications between GB Minis for trading. More cost, and also less of an argument for leaving it a closed box like the SNES/NES minis are, so there would be a higher priority given to security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Maybe now it makes sense, another reason, why starfox 1/2 were added to mini snes

Testing the reaction..... If it’s not received well due to age, then the N64 will be postponed

Personally I’d be ok with that. NES and SNES are 2 iconic mostly 2D consoles with retro games that don’t age bad at all

3D onwards it starts to be very hit and miss and rose tinted glasses are the best way to remember most of these games

• Advertisement

Was wondering what you'd call a GB mini if it was roughly the same size as the original GB/GBC/GBA, then wondered if making it proportionally smaller like the SNES mini was feasible.... then I found this. They have been beaten to the punch :
    https://hackaday.io/project/21453-keymu-open-source-keychain-sized-gaming-console

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

I dunno i guess im gonna be biased because the 64 was what i grew up with after the megadrive, Oot, mm, sm64,mk64,mario golf, paper mario, pity about the rare ips and goldeneye, but i think it could still have a strong lineup regardless.

But on the gbc links awakening, oracle of seasons/ages, pokemon redblue,sliver/gold, samus returns and mario land.

I know where my heart lies, but i would bee happy with either i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

Games will hold up really poorly imo, but might it worth it alone just for Link's Awakening.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Unless you did a GBA/GB classic, I feel like a lot of gameboy games wouldn't hold up as well as we'd like. Even the popular ones like Pokemon RBY feel incredibly dated and slow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

the corpo wrote: »
    Man, I'd love to play Blast Corps again

Playing it right now. Awesome game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Rare Replay have it on the XB1, it's still awesome.
    Body Harvest looks awful now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Would love a GBA rerelease. Would need to be 30 or more games including marios fire emblem golden sun zelda pokemon. Probably a logistical nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Mini Virtual Boy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I'd love to play Super Mario Land 2 on a portable Nintendo again. I miss those days in the back garden playing that while my sister had her horrible little friends over. I had Mario and they had a Wendy house with a toy cash register playing shop or whatever they use to do lol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Mini Virtual Boy

I emailed Nintendo back in the day to release the VB back catalogue on the 3DS, seemed like a natural fit tbh.
    They did email me back, said it was a great idea, but then reminded me that they do not take unsolicited ideas.
    Bugger.

Mentioning that handheld in the Nintendo workplace gets you insta-fired. Saying WiiU gets you a few weeks unpaid vacation.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Mentioning that handheld in the Nintendo workplace gets you insta-fired. Saying WiiU gets you a few weeks unpaid vacation.

Probably why he replied in a really small font....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

What would anyone ideally see on a GB only GB Classic? I agree with the sentiment that it should be a GBA inclusive thing, but if they're looking to maximize their bottom line, then I'd figure it's logical we'll get a GB and then a GBA classic.

In terms of what holds up as worth playing on GB only? All 6 OG Pokemon titles don't hide their age that well. Crystal'd be a logical step given it's pretty much the zenith in what the system could get outta a Pokemon game. Stuff like the original Wario Land games, Batman: Return of the Joker and Gargoyle's Quest are games that generate new fans constantly. Tetris is a lock, I guess.

Dragon Warrior Monsters would be cool, but its overlap with Pokemon might negate bothering with the license. The Donkey Kong Land games are well-received puzzle-platformers that differentiate themselves a lot from the DKC series to warrant inclusion. Guess Super Mario Land 2 as well, because Super Mario Land 1 is an odd title developed by people who'd only ever heard of Mario through Morse code on a stormy night.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Probably why he replied in a really small font....

Maybe it was a cyptic clue and we're getting a gameboy micro mini!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Mr.Saturn wrote:
    Guess Super Mario Land 2 as well, because Super Mario Land 1 is an odd title developed by people who'd only ever heard of Mario through Morse code on a stormy night.

But marioland 1 is a classic and a game changer. Peach got the p45 in place of Daisy :) i think it was great as an early Mario title at the time of launch before devs really had time to see what the Gameboy could do hence the significant upgrades of marioland 2. And any game that gets its theme tune transformed into a rave classic is worth any price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

iamtony wrote: »

It's not like it's the first time anyone listened... who am I kidding, of course it is...
    I'm sure I'll have a dedication in the manual or something....

I'm telling you, the Super Mario/Wario land games, perhaps the GB Megaman games too, Tetris, Gradius, Kirby, Parodius, Star Wars, Donkey Kong Land, Pokémon Red/Blue, Pokémon Pinball, Mario's Picross, plenty of great titles, more still if it's a colour screen, LoZ Links Awakening DX, LoZ Oracle of Seasons/Time.

I've seen a lot of guys stuff Rpi and LCD screen into original GB. Some of them are well done but most look a bit amateurish with holes cut for screen, wires sticking out etc.

I think a recreation of the original Gameboy albeit with a modern backlit display would sell like hotcakes. Especially if it was similarly hackable to NES/SNES classic

If they literally put the same hardware again into a Gameboy she'll with a battery and a screen... And left the USB port open to data so it could be flashed with more gb games, Retroarch, the SNES or nes mini cores.... Dribble dribble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

My Berry GBC died a few years ago.  I would prefer a GBC/GBA Classic Mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Original gameboy shell with the usual all winner CPU and modern LCD panel. Gameboy was compact enough so no need to make it mini..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

If it was modelled after the GB pocket I wouldn't mind. I dunno if there's 25 fondly remembered games on the original GB though. You'd probably have to skip to gb colour to get enough games.

Advertisement