Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VW Transporter tdi 4 Motion

Options
  • 05-10-2017 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

how much can you legally tow with these vehicles, the 2004 on models,
    is it 3 half ton?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Near certain it's 2 and a half.

3.5tonne is a lot, for that sorta towing capacity you're looking at dual wheel transits and the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭alangeorge

my mates got a sprinter 311 cdi, its 2003 and says they are rated to pull 3.5 ton

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

alangeorge wrote: »
    my mates got a sprinter 311 cdi, its 2003 and says they are rated to pull 3.5 ton

Lots of sprinters and VW LTs have 3500kg tow capacities. Small vans like the transporter will be less. Lookk at the plate that has the weights printed on it (normally on the door jamb on a VW)

The Combined weight, minus the Gross weight of the vehicle is the tow capacity

For example

37253318920_88834384ec_z.jpgVinPlate by Testa Calda, on Flickr

4500kg - 2800kg = 1700kg tow capicity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Yep that's sorta what I was alluding to, in most cases only the full size lwb vans will have a 3.5t towing capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭alangeorge

thanks, i got a forklift to come home, its coming in just under 2.5 ton, trailer is 900kg so might get a lend of a landcruiser to do the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

t its coming in just under 2.5 ton, trailer is 900kg so might get a lend of a landcruiser to do the job

if being 100% legal is high on your list, be careful what version of Landcruiser you get a loan of, most of the run of the mill ones only have a 2800kg tow capacity and I believe the newest model is just 3000kg

Advertisement