Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colour Vision - advice!

Options
  • 04-10-2017 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice, or in fact somebody to confirm that I should accept defeat!

I’m a young man, who had the dream of becoming a pilot. In 2014, I failed to receive a class 1 medical from the IAA as I was deemed colourblind. I then went & took the Lantern Test on that very same day.

I know this’ll sound silly but I was emotional, in hindsight, probably rushed it (instead of walking away & coming back another day) and I’ve read of people having varying results, although this has been argued that it can be down to luck?

In May 2016, I went to Gatwick then and took the CAD test, figuring it was my last resort. If i recall correctly, I had to score under 12 and under 7 in the different categories, I scored quite low under 7 and then, maybe 14/12, which didn’t render me ‘colour safe’. There has been cases where this has been repeated & the score been brought down below the accepted measurements - meaning an average is taken and then you’re rendered safe.

I don’t know what it is, or why I keep revisiting the topic, I just need somebody to tell me I’m being silly & to move on. The IAA don’t accept a signal gun test, like in other countries, which has quite a high success rate.

Is there much point in spending money on the Lantern test again? It’s clear I’m not totally colour deficient, the question is are there any other ways I could be considered colour ‘safe’ in order to proceed & obtain an unrestricted class 1?

Thanks for reading,

J

Advertisement