Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Work Phone

Options
  • 04-10-2017 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Hi all

work have told me they want me to get a company phone. Said I would need an iPhone 7 for some work I'll be doing but that I can use it as my personal phone if I wanted.

I just got told that the higher data bundle is 5GB a month... is there any way with Vodafone that I can just add more data but that I would just pay? Should I be weary of having a work phone in the first instance?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You would need to discuss with your Vodafone account manager to get the exact details of the plan and payment. Usually if you want additional addons you pay the difference to your company/removed from salary and they pay Vodafone rather than you directly.

A lot of people now use a work phone as there personal phone, some have a second as a personal only but seems to be getting less so.

Will the device be managed by your company for email and applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Davy wrote: »
    You would need to discuss with your Vodafone account manager to get the exact details of the plan and payment. Usually if you want additional addons you pay the difference to your company/removed from salary and they pay Vodafone rather than you directly.

A lot of people now use a work phone as there personal phone, some have a second as a personal only but seems to be getting less so.

Will the device be managed by your company for email and applications?

Not sure if I understand the question here... but that sounds good about going over it. I might have to talk to them about adding a 5GB or so onto it to get me through the month!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

never_mind wrote: »
    Not sure if I understand the question here... but that sounds good about going over it. I might have to talk to them about adding a 5GB or so onto it to get me through the month!

Do know if you will have to install software to get applications for work usage?

This often enables the company to see/access/wipe content on the device when needed. Once you are aware and happy with this then go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Davy wrote: »
    Do know if you will have to install software to get applications for work usage?

This often enables the company to see/access/wipe content on the device when needed. Once you are aware and happy with this then go ahead.

I'd keep the 2 phones separate to be honest - partly for this reason, partly because sorting out the bill could be a hassle depending on what your company will allow for personal usage, and partly because if I left the company they may/may not let me take the number with me.

Also, I like to be able to switch off from work so having people be able to call/text me at weekends etc wouldn't be appreciated.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'd keep the 2 phones separate to be honest - partly for this reason, partly because sorting out the bill could be a hassle depending on what your company will allow for personal usage, and partly because if I left the company they may/may not let me take the number with me.

Also, I like to be able to switch off from work so having people be able to call/text me at weekends etc wouldn't be appreciated.

Might be a good idea!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

IMO Dual Sim handsets are great.

Get a company number and forgo the handset* and then you can very easily kill Sim 2 come 6 PM of a friday and enable it again on the way in the following Monday. Set work contacts to call on the 2nd SIM and then its all plain sailing and you can combine your personal and work data caps.

* Unless you need to be inside a managed company environment with controlled devices, Vodafone have such a product that they sell to enterprise eg. the HSE

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have 2 phones and I find it a great way of switching off from work, I leave the work phone in the car and only look at it at the weekends if I want to. I tried the dual sim option and while that was great for ignoring phone calls it didn't stop me checking my work email (my own fault) and it also stopped me having my personal WhatsApp as I needed to have it for work as well. For the sake of €25 a month (unlimited calls/texts/data) it's priceless.

I caved. The position I'm in isn't too demanding and now I have a shiny new phone!! I just hope I don't go over my 5GB bundle..

Advertisement