Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 months on from IBT, what next?

Options
  • 04-10-2017 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I got on a bike for the first time back in April when I did the IBT, then passed the test in June, and have clocked up about 4k km in that time. I'm commuting on a daily basis now (~70km), and mostly feeling confident in my riding, but still taking notes to myself on where I could still be doing better.
    I feel like I could be entering a dangerous period when confidence might overtake competence, or some bad habits set in.

So, the question is, what is a good next step for further training at this point?

Thanks,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭blade1

thos wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I got on a bike for the first time back in April when I did the IBT, then passed the test in June, and have clocked up about 4k km in that time. I'm commuting on a daily basis now (~70km), and mostly feeling confident in my riding, but still taking notes to myself on where I could still be doing better.
    I feel like I could be entering a dangerous period when confidence might overtake competence, or some bad habits set in.

So, the question is, what is a good next step for further training at this point?

Thanks,
    Tom

Head over to wheelie school with stewy!:D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

You could try a track day, but probably not an option until Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Pugzilla wrote: »

You bet me to it...:D

Seriously great craic alltogether and you learn so much info from the marshals too.

Had a ball on Monday just gone.:)

Pugzilla wrote: »

Loyalty trackday is on 29th October,but I think you can still pay full whack and go out on track,as they need the numbers down there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

have a little crash to knock the fear into you worked wonders for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

If you aren't interested in a track day, or crashing (Jesus Frozen :D), you could always try an advanced rider course.

I found that commuting leads to complacency, you're doing the same tedious route all the time, over and over and over again, there's no variety so it's easy to get bored and have a lapse in concentration. You could change your route to work, or leave earlier and get a little spin in before you go to work, or get breakky on the way in, just something different. I take a different, longer, route in about once a week just to change it up.

Maybe go out for a weekend spin with a mate, or join up with a local group and go out for fun runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

have a little crash to knock the fear into you worked wonders for me
    I got a real bollocking from AGS who didn't appreciate the rapid progress I was making along a bus lane. He also took the piss out of my chicken strips. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Colm17RvB wrote: »
    If you aren't interested in a track day, or crashing (Jesus Frozen :D), you could always try an advanced rider course.

I found that commuting leads to complacency, you're doing the same tedious route all the time, over and over and over again, there's no variety so it's easy to get bored and have a lapse in concentration. You could change your route to work, or leave earlier and get a little spin in before you go to work, or get breakky on the way in, just something different. I take a different, longer, route in about once a week just to change it up.

Maybe go out for a weekend spin with a mate, or join up with a local group and go out for fun runs?
    Track days and crashing not quite what I'm looking for just yet.
    I'm going to make a few calls about advanced courses, wanted to see if I would do with some more experience first, or if there was somewhere else I should start. Gonna chat to the guys here - http://www.irishmotorcycletraining.com/the-next-step/ and this 'Next Step' session and see what it's like.
    The commute idea is good, I like that, thanks.
    I'm weary of group rides at the moment. Was looking at the RoSPA IART site, can see some local people too, so might take a look at some of their events.
    Cheers folks.
    Tom

1 on 1 in Mondello with a trackday marshal will actually teach you about body position,corner speed,engine braking,hand/foot braking before a corner,throttle on through corner,and powering out of a corner.

Alot of what you learn on track can also be put to road riding too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Next stage is to master the vital skill of the punishment overtake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

But joking aside. Grab a copy of 'The Police Riders Handbook', and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Tony is dead sound, he'd be great for helping you kick on.
    The commute idea works provided you make time for it, otherwise it's just another day of the rat race.
    I think going on a group ride with like minded folks will actually be useful, just don't go out with a group of racers. Go to the track day for that :p
    As TallGlass said get a copy of the Motorcycle Roadcraft book, it's the base level of most advanced riding courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

You bet me to it...:D

Seriously great craic alltogether and you learn so much info from the marshals too.

Had a ball on Monday just gone.:)

How are track days for newish riders. I am on a bike around 5-6 months, still not getting my knee down etc. So not sure if I would be a danger out there to myself and others.

Advertisement