Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamaha SA1000 with PG blues...No honk in the mid

Options
  • 03-10-2017 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭

Long story folks. I used to own a yamaha 335 style guitar and i was after that out of phase Peter Green tone in the middle position on the pickup selector. So so I installed PG blues in the guitar and loved the sound. Then i stupidly sold the guitar. The buyer didn't like the middle position sound so i know he changed something. I managed to acquire the guitar back after many years after it changed many hands. I recently contacted him but he doesn't know/can't remember what his tech did.
    I inspected the pickups assuming he changed them but they are in fact the PG blues. I'm scratching my head why it's missing that out of phase sound from the mid position. The 2 volume pots look non standard so i'm thinking he messed with the wiring.
    Would any of you good folks have any ideas?
    Pics to follow .....

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Assuming he didn't just rotate one of the pickups, did his tech put a capacitor across the volume pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

feylya wrote: »
    Assuming he didn't just rotate one of the pickups, did his tech put a capacitor across the volume pot?

I'd assumed he hadn't flipped the magnet as it looks like a really neat solder job between the cover and the pickup itself. I've seen it before where the nickel cover has been damaged trying to pry the pickup out but no evidence of this whatsoever. He also assured me this wasn't done when I emailed him.
    I desoldered both pickups today and measured the resistance while bringing a metal ruler close to the poles. Both pickups yielded a decrease in resistance which to me would indicate both are in phase. So it does look like the magnet was flipped. The plot thickens.....

[IMG][/img]dtMl20tl.jpg

[IMG][/img]HJ93rEkl.jpg

[IMG][/img]NAz6cfRl.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement