Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerline adapter not showing any improvement

Options
  • 03-10-2017 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

So yesterday I bought the TP-Link TL-PA4010 AV600. It's the basic version, and really just a tester.

So in my place I get wifi speeds of 40-80mbs download normally, and just now upload of 26mbs, but typically 10mbs.

My PS4 is the problem. It gets 5-10 download and 2mbs or less upload. It turns out that the original model, which I have has no AC or 5G and is notorious for wifi problems.

So as a cheap solution and a test to a PS4 upgrade to the slim which has AC and 5G, I bought the above adapters. All seems to be set up, no blinking LED issues or anything. The problem is I'm getting the same speed whether on wifi or using the powerline adapter, 12mbs download and 2 upload. I've tried about 10 times, started over, tested on both my PS4 and my gaming laptop and I don't see any different in speed. Any clue why?

I read the guide, watched the manufacturers Youtube videos, chatted to them online and on the phone. They mostly thought I was trying to 'fix my wifi' which I'm not, at 40-80mbs I'm happy. I'm trying to deliver some version of that to my PS4 which isn't benefiting from that router speed. If I connect my PS4 directly to the router via cable there is a noticeable jump in figures so it seems to me that it's just the adapters aren't performing. :eek: Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭chillinpenguin

So yesterday I bought the TP-Link TL-PA4010 AV600. It's the basic version, and really just a tester.

So in my place I get wifi speeds of 40-80mbs download normally, and just now upload of 26mbs, but typically 10mbs.

My PS4 is the problem. It gets 5-10 download and 2mbs or less upload. It turns out that the original model, which I have has no AC or 5G and is notorious for wifi problems.

So as a cheap solution and a test to a PS4 upgrade to the slim which has AC and 5G, I bought the above adapters. All seems to be set up, no blinking LED issues or anything. The problem is I'm getting the same speed whether on wifi or using the powerline adapter, 12mbs download and 2 upload. I've tried about 10 times, started over, tested on both my PS4 and my gaming laptop and I don't see any different in speed. Any clue why?

I read the guide, watched the manufacturers Youtube videos, chatted to them online and on the phone. They mostly thought I was trying to 'fix my wifi' which I'm not, at 40-80mbs I'm happy. I'm trying to deliver some version of that to my PS4 which isn't benefiting from that router speed. :eek: Help!

Silly question but have you actually gone into the PS4 settings and told it to forget the wifi and only use the Ethernet cable.....I only ask as same thing happened me I thought the playstation would just pick the Ethernet cable as preference over wifi if both are available.....it doesnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I was getting around 12MB/s on a AV1200 adapter crossing different circuits (traffic went through the circout breakers).

The advertised speed (600 Mbps in your case) it theoretical maximum bandwidth that could be achieved if there was no interference. What is weird however that your upload speed is limited much more than download, that shouldn't be the case.

Can you test transfers within your LAN network? Or use the adapter to connect your laptop to the network (disable wireless in it, and rely on Ethernet connection only).

Download utility http://static.tp-link.com/tpPLC_Utility_Windows_new.zip and see if the adapters are working and what speed they are connected.

And please fix the units. Mixinig upper/lower cases in units MAKES difference. MB, mB, mb and Mb are all valid units in this context...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Test through the homeplugs with a laptop, not the PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Test with a laptop. Check different sockets in both your router room & ps4 room. There can be a massive difference between sockets in the same room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Hi gents,

thanks a million for the ideas.

I have a big update, which clears things up significantly.

When I tested the adapter before posting here, I tested repeatedly, without changing or touching or moving anything over the course of about 90 minutes.

Later on, I tried again and finally I saw some difference.

I tested the wifi - less than 1mb down, less than 1mb up
    I tested this again - same result
    I tested the LAN connection - 20mb down, 3 up,
    I tested the wifi again - less than 1mb down or up,
    I tested LAN again - 20mb (or early twenties) down, 2 up (2-3 always)

Finally, there's a difference. What I think happened was that the wifi had an unusually good signal, temporarily and this masked the performance of the adapter. Now, that 20mb (up to mid-twenties) download speed is still far behind what other devices are getting from my router on wifi, and 2-3mb upload, but it's far better than the crap-out points the wifi delivers. Also, as far as I've seen, typically people review these devices as giving close or same as actually being wired directly to their router. I'm not getting that.

I suspect even the LAN/ethernet capability of the original PS4 is bad, but I haven't seen that reported. When I tested a wired connection directly, it was getting in the same ball-park as the above result.

I tested again this morning and exactly the same results appeared, so now there's consistency. The adapters deliver a usable, stable connection, useful for streaming and I can download games on that speed also. It's not max potential, and I suspect that's again the PS4 as the bottleneck. I'm happy now, there's nothing worse than lashing out money on a gamble and it not paying off, but I'm seeing a benefit finally. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Theres a few things to do.

Don't cross rings, like kitchen is on its own ring, so one between kitchen and somewhere else can be slow.
    Unplug everything on the loop the powerline is on. One bad device can ruin the signal. A 3rd party laptop power supply kills my speed.
    Don't use a power extension anywhere near it, definately not with it.
    Make sure your router, and the powerline and the PS are all the same ethernet speed. if one is slow all will be slow.
    Use the same brand powerline adapters, even the same model. There can be conflicts.
    Test it in different room and with different sockets and with different cables. Any issue with one of them slows the whole thing down.

I get 300 at router, 80~90 at first powerleap, (its limited to 100) 40~60 in the next room and 20~30 in the kitchen.
    if get interference like my laptop power supply it can drop to 2~15.
    Anything about 30 or above is good enough for most things. Gaming needs 50+ for it to be smooth for me.

you might consider other options like a powerline to move the WiFi router to a better location. PS4 might be ok with Wifi if it was stronger.
    Or just run a really long cable.

Advertisement