Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm thinking of getting a motorbike. What's involved? Cost?

Options
  • 02-10-2017 9:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭

Please forgive me if the question offends the motorbiking community. I'm already an experienced car driver. Does that mean half the battle is already fought with regard to being prepared for the test in terms of rules of the road?

Is handling a motorbike similar to handling a bicycle, just at much higher speed with a much heavier equipment?

Is it worthwhile doing it in a manual bike or are most automatic nowadays? I know the clutch is at the left handlebar and the gears are at the left foot, bt how many gears are there? Just a general question.

What is it like in Autumn? Is it dangerous with fallen leaves?

Are on-road driving lessons mandatory or is it just the IBT that's mandatory?

Can you do the IBT without the learner permit? technically you should be able to because it's done off-road (I got off-road car lessons back in 2006 before I had my learner permit with Rosemary Smith in Kildare).

Because I'm 26, does that mean I can go straight to category A?

Do you recommend any schools around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Not sure if you're trolling or not?

Please forgive me if the question offends the motorbiking community. I'm already an experienced car driver. Does that mean half the battle is already fought with regard to being prepared for the test?

Is handling a motorbike similar to handling a bicycle, just at much higher speed with a much heavier equipment?

Is it worthwhile doing it in a manual bike or are most automatic nowadays? I know the clutch is at the left handlebar and the gears are at the left foot, bt how many gears are there? Just a general question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Not sure if you're trolling or not?

Genuinely not. I'm just interested in getting a motorbike :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

what type donyou like
    enduro moto sports sports tourer tourer cruiser naked ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Tigger wrote: »
    what type donyou like
    enduro moto sports sports tourer tourer cruiser naked ?

? :confused:

I like Suzuki GZ. A co worker of mine drives one.

Riding a motorcycle is absolutely different to driving a car. If all you have is car and bicycle experience then you need to start at the beginning.

Getting a motorcycle licence these days is time consuming and relatively expensive.

You must first do a theory test, then your IBT, then your test and then you're restricted for 2 yrs if you're under a certain age.

If you are seriously suggesting that because you know the clutch is on the left and you've driven cars and cycled bikes you should be legally and or practically able to forgoe formal training be let loose on a bike then I suggest you rethink the whole bike thing.

I have been riding bikes for 20 years. I love it but even fecker out there in a car/truck/bus is trying to kill you.

You NEED to do the full training and start on small bikes and work your way up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

khaldrogo wrote:
    I love it but even fecker out there in a car/truck/bus is trying to kill you.

As a car driver I take exception to that statement.

As a car driver I take exception to that statement.

Subconsciously......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

? :confused:

I like Suzuki GZ. A co worker of mine drives one.

thayts a cruiser style

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Rules of the Road: yeah, realistically this WILL help a lot. Learning to ride a motorcycle will take a lot of concentration, so not having to think about this helps a lot. I remember profuse sweating learning to drive a car, the motorcycle a few years later was much less stress.

Clutch and gearing: again, biting point, clutch control, engine revs and note etc. All skills learnt in a car will stand to you.

Bicycle physics: single track, rear heavy, counter steering, independent brakes with front breaking dominant, leaning to corner... All the same. Motorcycle is just heavier and faster, therefore requires more forward planning and counter steering.

Ignore the folks here who say your existing skills won't help, they will, enormously.

You will screw up a few times though, so be prepared to pick the motorcycle up more than a few times... with new scratches and dents each time... on both of you.

Costs:

Decent helmet - 200ish - check out the UK government SHARP ratings, don't buy the Aldi/Lidl one. I did try a Shoei once, it was very comfortable, but not 500 comfortable given it tested the same as my 200 euro one. Get one with an integrated flip up sun visor, we have a lot of low sun in Ireland.

Jacket, Gloves and Pants - 250 - Aldi and Lidl do them twice yearly, the pants help confidence cornering in the wet. I forget, but one supermarket offers much better than the other (I have both). Head out to Cotters or other stores if you need them now or are anything but standard sizing.

Bike - 500 to whatever - a decent bike with under 30,000km and ABS will run you 5,000.

Insurance and Tax - 300 and 88 - insurance depends on too many factors, check Liberty for an online quote then ring the others with it.

• Advertisement

Other costs:

350 euro on tires every 20,000km or so...

200 on chain and sprockets every 30,000km or so

Brake pads, rotors, oil changes, fluids.... I spend a lot of time and money on routine maintenance.

Get a good tool kit with sockets, wrenches, drivers, and a torque wrench.

I commute 15,000km a year.

I reckon it costs: 500 in fuel, 500 in routine maintenance and 1000 in depreciation per year on my beat up 250cc.

Throw in insurance and clothing and you're looking at about 2,500 per annum total annual cost for the pleasure owning and running a motorcycle for commuting. That might drop to 1,500 per annum for a weekend warrior, but no less than that. Tack on an additional 500 if you don't do the repairs yourself.

fleet wrote:
    Ignore the folks here who say your existing skills won't help, they will, enormously.

If he attempts to ride a bike like he would drive a car then no, it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

In my experience (urban) bicycle skills are useless for balance and control of a motorbike but excellent for anticipation and progressing safely through traffic. They won't stop you toppling over but they may stop you from dying.

Driving skills are useful for ROTR and understanding the mindset of drivers but not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

The stats indicate your being 35 times more likely to die and 16 times more likely to be seriously injured in an accident compared to a car. You could add a multiple of the latter to the chances of your sustaining a life altering injury - not serious but something which inhibits and dogs you for the rest of your life. Those figures are averages. You can crank them upwards significantly when the population considered involves the learning years / commuting riding / wet/frosty condition. In considering biking, a sober appreciation of the risk league you are planning on stepping into needs to be understood. This needn't stop you biking, but it might inform the approach you take when entering it. Training and practicing techniques, quality of gear, starting out in optimum conditions (dry weather, daylight, quiet routes), good quality tyres.

With 25 all year round biking to protect me, the impending arrival of my son made it a no brainer: if I wanted to be around for him, and run around with him then biking had to go. The risk, even though far, far less than those you'd be facing, weren't possible to run.

No doubt posts will follow decrying what I say. The reality is the reality however. And something that ought be faced head on.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The stats indicate your being 35 times more likely to die and 16 times more likely to be seriously injured in an accident compared to a car.
    It's actually worse than that, per mile travelled. UK 2014 stats:

"The fatality rate for motorcycle riders was 122 deaths per billion miles in 2014. This compares to a fatality rate of 1.8 deaths per billion miles for car drivers."

Source: http://www.roadsafetyobservatory.com/Review/10088

However, I travel about 6,000 miles a year. For a cohort of 68 people doing that, one of them will die in a 20 year window (20 years is probably the amount of time that my kids lives would be materially affected by my death).

Is a 1/68 chance of death over 20 years bad? I dunno. Normal death rate for a person through ages 30-50 is about 1/36. So I'm maybe adding 50% to that normal risk.

Do you do the same risk assessment every time you open a beer or a bottle of wine, or eat some grilled meat, or a slice of toast, or a bacon sandwich? All of those things are known to increase your risk of premature death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

He was quoting the American statistics. Depending on the year, the stats vary between 29 to 37X more likely for fatality. US traffic deaths do not include off-road motorcycle fatalities(which is roughly 9-10% of all fatalities in any given year). Statistics are statistics, though. Good luck sifting through it all. All I would say is, it's defintiely more dangerous in my personal experience, and when you hit things in a bike - it does a lot more damage to you than when you plough in to something in a Hilux. Be vigilant, be careful, do not take anything for granted when you are riding.

The breakdown in deaths by type of bike in 2013 is as follows: Cruiser 1,281, Touring 578, Sport-touring 22, Sport 269, Supersport 945, off-road 42, other or unknown 889.[4] Breakdown for 2013 by engine size is 1,951 for under 1000 CC, 692 for 1000 to 1400, and 1,276 for over 1400 (approximately).[4] 1,832 were single-vehicle crashes and 2,549 were multi-vehicle crashes.[4]

So, basically, nearly 14% of all traffic fatalities in the US for 2013 were motorcycles. Motorcycles make up 2% of the registered vehicle population stateside.
    Lumen wrote: »
    It's actually worse than that, per mile travelled. UK 2014 stats:

"The fatality rate for motorcycle riders was 122 deaths per billion miles in 2014. This compares to a fatality rate of 1.8 deaths per billion miles for car drivers."

Source: http://www.roadsafetyobservatory.com/Review/10088

However, I travel about 6,000 miles a year. For a cohort of 68 people doing that, one of them will die in a 20 year window (20 years is probably the amount of time that my kids lives would be materially affected by my death).

Is a 1/68 chance of death over 20 years bad? I dunno. Normal death rate for a person through ages 30-50 is about 1/36. So I'm maybe adding 50% to that normal risk.

Do you do the same risk assessment every time you open a beer or a bottle of wine, or eat some grilled meat, or a slice of toast, or a bacon sandwich? All of those things are known to increase your risk of premature death.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

We're all going to die, the end result is the same: eternal oblivion.
    Whether I die asleep in bed or in a violent motorbike crash, it's all the same to me.

No doubt posts will follow decrying what I say. The reality is the reality however. And something that ought be faced head on.

Is it like walking sentry duty in 'Nam?

Lumen wrote: »

Supposing for a second you were to die in year one, the amount of time your kids would be affected by your death (materially, emotionally, psychologically) is about the same length of time as they have yet to live

Wouldn't it be a doubling of your risk? That is, a 100% increase in risk?

Then there's the chances of serious injury or life altering injury. As recent events in Las Vegas demonstrate, your into multiples for injuries less than death

I'd imagine eating toast, though containing an element of risk, don't register on the horizon statistically. It's hard to argue that some activities ought cause more pause for some sober assessment than others.

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Is it like walking sentry duty in 'Nam?

Probably not far off.

When faced with someone entering motorcycling who is drawn by images of wind in your hair, it's good to have some kind of counterpoint to work from.

Smoking isn't quite Marlboro Man territory it's adverstised to be, is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Probably not far off.

When faced with someone entering motorcycling who is drawn by images of wind in your hair, it's good to have some kind of counterpoint to work from.

Smoking isn't quite Marlboro Man territory it's adverstised to be, is it.

I suppose you also give your family the counterpoint that instead of flying to that sun kissed beach holiday you could be screaming as you plummet into a mountain?

(Insert winky or rolling eye emoticon here where applicable)

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Costs of owning a motorbike (in my experience anyway)
    Training
    Bike gear
    First bike
    Good weather bike gear
    Nicer bike gear
    Big supermoto (while keeping the first bike which is a sportsbike, got to have a bike for all occasions)
    First track day
    Trackbike
    Serious of trackdays
    Annual trip to spain for three day track day
    Isle of man TT trip every second year
    Performance upgrades to make trackbike faster
    Training to make me faster
    Motocross bike
    Motocross gear
    Service costs
    Tax and insurance on both road bikes
    More trackdays
    Track tyres
    Broke an ankle and a hand over 20 years of riding
    And it goes on and on and on......

I purposely haven't put any money against all these items as it would probably depress me to think how much I've spent, if I had my time back again would I have got into bikes? Hell yes, what else would I have spent my time and money on!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The best quote I saw regarding bikes:

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

1,832 were single-vehicle crashes and 2,549 were multi-vehicle crashes.

So, basically, nearly 14% of all traffic fatalities in the US for 2013 were motorcycles. Motorcycles make up 2% of the registered vehicle population stateside.

42% of bike fatalities were single-vehicle crashes. That's sobering if you consider these were (mostly) the rider's fault. Um, perhaps fault isn't the right word. But under the control of the rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No need for anti-bike rants in a thread started by a beginner. They are an adult and live in a society with an extremely anti-motorcycling attitude. They'll have heard it all before and so have we.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

No need for anti-bike rants in a thread started by a beginner. They are an adult and live in a society with an extremely anti-motorcycling attitude. They'll have heard it all before and so have we.

It's not at all an anti-bike rant. Rather, it's an attempt at adding to the info so that a person, adult and all, can make an informed decision on whether to enter that world or not.

You would prefer they not be exposed to an aspect of biking's reality?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The best quote I saw regarding bikes:

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

And there ain't nothing more ignorant and incompetent than a learner biker. Probably.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Safe to say that OP won't be getting a bike after reading this thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

And there ain't nothing more ignorant and incompetent than a learner biker. Probably.

I'd actually say those beyond learner are the most ignorant. A learner will typically aim to be a lot more cautious, hold back on filtering or going the speed limit.

A more experienced ride (usually on a racing bike) will tend to be a bit more arrogant. On Thursday morning in Cork I saw a lad on the road from Ballincollig to Cork driving between cars on the bends, each car was probably going about 110Km/h and he was just zipping between them.

Ignorance and arrogance are certainly the big killers for bikers, I think anyone would be mad to argue that. I had one bad accident when I was young and was far more cautious from then on, and over 10 years later I'm back driving my bike everyday and a hell of lot more wise for it.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'd actually say those beyond learner are the most ignorant. A learner will typically aim to be a lot more cautious, hold back on filtering or going the speed limit.

True. The problems occurs when a learner figures themselves to be, somewhat prematurely, not a learner anymore.

A more experienced ride (usually on a racing bike) will tend to be a bit more arrogant. On Thursday morning in Cork I saw a lad on the road from Ballincollig to Cork driving between cars on the bends, each car was probably going about 110Km/h and he was just zipping between them.

I assume you mean cars going in the same direction? :)

To be fair, there is a balance between risk and reward. You can reduce motorcycling down to being a car driver on two wheels for safety's sake - which misses the point of motorcycling.

I'd have no issue riding in such a nip and tuck fashion - having experience to balance the risk with the reward*. Biking is nothing if not pitting your skills against the constraints. And danger is one of biking's constraints. It's what makes it so exhilarating: 60mph on a long sweeping bend, clean wet road, warm back tyre squirming in the zone between stick and slip. I mean, it's great!!

The issue here is how one gets that experience. And the exponential level of risk that has to be run in getting it.

Ignorance and arrogance are certainly the big killers for bikers, I think anyone would be mad to argue that. I had one bad accident when I was young and was far more cautious from then on, and over 10 years later I'm back driving my bike everyday and a hell of lot more wise for it.

Same for me: close shaves force respect. You just have to be lucky enough for long enough only to be having close shaves.

* Until the impending arrival of a child placed an insurmountable weight on the other side of the scales.

Advertisement