Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproofing air-dried clay

Options
  • 02-10-2017 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, asking for my daughter. She made some nice vases from air-drying clay, but they are not waterproof and eventually soften if filled with water. She would like to do something to fix this.

I asked in a craft shop, and they said that a good coating of nail polish might be the best way to do it.

I wanted to ask here to see if that idea would work, or if there are other, better, solutions.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭callee

Do you still have the bag that the clay came in, some of the air-dry clays can be fired in a kiln. The alternative is to use the modpodge or decoupage varnishes that are suitable for outdoor use. But to be honest I think if you have water sitting in them they will eventually soften.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Perhaps some water-proof flatting?

Advertisement