Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to permanently get rid of background tasks

Options
  • 02-10-2017 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Wanted to know if anyone could tell me how to get rid of apps running in the background PERMANENTLY. I constantly have about 60-80 apps running in the background at any given time (this does not include Windows processes) and I want to know how to get rid of them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Double check if they're listed in your startup programs. Usually that's where they can be disabled.

More info here... https://www.howtogeek.com/74523/how-to-disable-startup-programs-in-windows/

Also, might be time to completely uninstall any of these programs if you don't use them (once they're not system processes!).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Wanted to know if anyone could tell me how to get rid of apps running in the background PERMANENTLY. I constantly have about 60-80 apps running in the background at any given time (this does not include Windows processes) and I want to know how to get rid of them.

It depends. You can uninstall them, disable them from starting or disable the service.

Sometimes they’re needed for a certain application so preventing them from starting is a reasonable course of action for infrequently used apps. The easiest way to do this is from the startup tab of the task manager assuming you’re on a modern version of Windows.

Of course exercise extreme care here. Disabling the wrong item can cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

I disabled a fair few apps on the startup menu but there are still lots of apps running in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I disabled a fair few apps on the startup menu but there are still lots of apps running in the background.

Can you post a screenshot or list a few?

I wouldn't end any without double checking what it was first!

If you run chrome go in to the advanced settings as there's a sly checkbox you can turn off "continue running background apps when Chrome is closed".

I'll post some screen shots tomorrow afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Some programs have an option in their setting to start on Windows startup. Might be an idea to check in the programs themselves. Could be as simple as unchecking a tick box and rebooting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

What problems are they causing?

Sorry it took me so long to upload the screenshots, I have been quite busy lately:)
    https://imgur.com/a/BK9mB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Honestly the answer is to uninstall them or else disable them from startup options if you want to keep them for use at certain times....

The only option so is to uninstall them because I can't see most of them in the startup menu. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Are you using msconfig?

Some of the individual processes are all part of one application, they're not all individual programmes.

But there is definitely a lot of relatively useless crap on that list that I personally would uninstall unless you actually use or want them. At the very least I'd disable a huge amount of it from starting up with Windows.

The way I disable the apps is through the task manager. I don't know what misconfig is but it rings a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

my PC takes up to 4 min to boot up fully > windows 10..is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

On a HDD it is.

yes, 320 gb....upgraded from win 7

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The way I disable the apps is through the task manager. I don't know what misconfig is but it rings a bell.

if you have windows 7 or older
    hit the Win key and R
    type in msconfig
    go to the startup tab and disable stuff that you don't need to have opening on boot

^^^^^^^^^^^^

but how do know which stuff you don't need?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

post a picture of what is listed

here you go...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Disable the Lenovo one, it's some crap that came with your PC. I'd disable the Canon one too. Do you have a Canon printer? If so it's probably related to some software that came with your printer.

It's not a big list anyway :)

Did you run msconfig? Probably more stuff in there that you don't need. And if you want to really speed up your PC, get an SSD instead of your HDD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement