Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Upgrade Coffee Setup.

Options
  • 01-10-2017 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been looking to upgrade from my very conventional De Longhi espresso machine and Vario hand grinder for a while. I think I'm going to take the plunge on the grinder first as that'll probably make a more immediate difference. I really like the look of the Sage Smart Grinder - it's a rebadged Breville. I like Breville as a company, they tend to have considered designs and are constantly thinking of the users experience.

Another option is the Rancilio Rocky which, although a much more utilitarian looking machine, seems to be built like a tank and as I'm looking for a grinder to do me for the next 10 years+ (with regular maintenance) this might be the smarter choice.

While I will purchase the grinder first, it probably makes sense to think about what Espresso machine I'll go for too, when the time comes. The Rancilio Silvia seems like a crowd favourite - but my head is also being turned by the Rocket Appartamento. The Rocket is double the price, but again, I'm looking for a longterm machine and if I thought I would get years of enjoyment out of it, the price wouldn't bother me as much.

I know there are loads of other options out there but I think these 4 are my preferred. Would be curious to hear the thoughts of any owners or other dreamers out there like me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I was is the same boat as you a few months ago. The Sage had my interest as well but I would advise against buying it. It has a plastic part on it that will end up failing. See here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lL8BInrki8

After hours of research I decided to get this one, https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/eureka-mignon-instantaneo-grinder-auto-manual-silver.html

But, a Rancilio Rocky with the doser came up on the adverts ie so I grabbed it. I can't complain it's a great grinder but if I was buying new I'd still go with the Eureka.

I own the Rancilio Silvia and would highly recommend it. The Rocket is better machine but it won't make better coffee. if I had money to burn I'd definitely go with the Rocket though.

Keep your eye out on the Adverts ie a lot of grinder's ( like Mazzer's) and Silvia's come up from time to time. I wouldn't worry about them being second hand. A lot of these machines and grinders coming out of Italy are old school made to last products. Even a ten year old Gaggia Classic can keep it's value.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭bemak

That's interesting alright. Hadn't known about it. I probably should say that my usage would be quite small, weekends and the odd weekday. So any machine I get would have a handy life. Hadn't even considered the Eureka - must do a bit of research on it. Thanks for the feedback. Did you put a PID on your Silvia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

I own Rancilio Silvia , Baratza Vario grinder ,Sage Smart Grinder.
    I wouldn’t recommend Sage grinder ,not a great match for Silvia and probably any decent Espresso machine IMO . You just couldn’t grind fine enough some of the beans for Silvia, plenty of clumps too.

That's a pity really about the Sage, was hoping it was a good one as there's a lot to like about it. Is the Eureka available anywhere in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

It isn’t bad , most of the beans it is grinding OK.
    But some of the them just flushing through Silvia in 10-15 sec at the finest settings ( and i’ve installed shim kit to improve grinding)
    As for the clumps , it is probably not worse than Rocky grinder .
    Go for the mahlkonig/Baratza Vario , you won’t regret .

• Advertisement

The baratzas are obviously great machines but they don't look great! 🙄

I really like the look of the Eureka mignon, and it's a lovely size. It's a pity that the coarsest it can get to is fine pour over which is a bit limiting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Doing my homework/research etc etc before upgrading my machine.
    Looking at The Profitec 300 PID, Appartamento, Quick Mill Silvano etc etc.
    Too much choice really.....can be a problem.

But.........I want a single boiler only, more importantly. If there is a PID, fair enough but not a game changer.

A top range Rocket can go €3500. Zero interest.
    Profitec 300 Dual boiler can go £1250, dual boiler........forgot :D:D
    QM Silvano €960. Not bad and I've dealt with Ciaran from Home coffee machines before, great service.

So.....an Appartamento will go €1350. I'm leaning this way. I'm assuming the after service from Zero One Zero is up to scratch?
    And I know I'm shelling out that few quid more for the Rocket marque unfortunately but it seems bombproof.

Coming from a Gaggia Classic like us all I suppose. Grinding on a Compak K3 touch which I'm happy with.

So......Appartamento owners if any, any regrets?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I upgraded from a classic to an appartamento last year (vario grinder). No regrets - much more consistent shots and no comparison in terms of steaming power. Bought it from zero one zero but haven't had to use after sales service (touch wood)

One extra i bought that improved shots was https://www.theespressoshop.co.uk/ReviewsSubmit.aspx?ModelID=4258&CustomerID=31604 this grouphead thermometer. It helps a lot with the cooling flush (I found i needed a much shorter flush than online research suggested)

I bought yesterday.

Was looking at the thermometer a few days ago on US and UK forums.
    Might just hold out and flush as normal first see how she goes.

Will receive the Appartamento next week probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

My issue was i was getting very inconsistent shots with almost no crema. Cleaned the machine, re calibrated the grinders, tried lots of different coffees. Eventually thought it might be to do with brew temp and the thermometer did show that the brew temp after a normal flush was low. I suspect this is not normal for appartamentos because I couldn’t find any discussion online about it so you could be grand.

I’ll be interested to hear how you get on with it, what grinder do you have?

• Advertisement

Compak K3 touch.

okedoke wrote: »
    My issue was i was getting very inconsistent shots with almost no crema. Cleaned the machine, re calibrated the grinders, tried lots of different coffees. Eventually thought it might be to do with brew temp and the thermometer did show that the brew temp after a normal flush was low. I suspect this is not normal for appartamentos because I couldn’t find any discussion online about it so you could be grand.

I’ll be interested to hear how you get on with it, what grinder do you have?

OK......haven't read this thread for a while and coincidentally, I bought an E61 thermometer also, in the post atm, after reading loads about E61 cool flushings etc.

I'm getting on fine with the App., initially, shots coming out way too hot, then started flushing, water dancing etc, shots getting better. Nice crema, nice milk etc .
    But.....still want to know what's going on at the grouphead re. temps.
    Will have thermometer next week.

Thumping machine though.......:D

Had forgotten about this thread! I ended up getting an ECM Synchronika a while back. Absolute beast - double insulated boilered, rotary pump, lever controls for steam and hot water, PID and shot timer. Has the ability to be hooked to the mains as well, although I haven't done this yet. It was an expensive purchase but I intend to mind it and have it for life. Delighted with it to be honest. Prior to getting it, I bought a used Super Jolly with very little mileage on the clock. It's fairly consistent although it does clump the grounds a bit. However, I would question what effect this really has in the end because the coffee is tamped anyway?!

Same here as regards clumping.........just a sign of fresh coffee imo.
    You won't get clumping with stale beans.

Advertisement