Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sv650s fuel injection issue

Options
  • 01-10-2017 5:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi, I bought a 2008 sv650s and it has a red FI light on all the time. When I start the bike and rev up even a little bit, it starts to drop revs bellow 1k and the engine starts to knock like it's about to explode and stalls. When I start it again it runs perfectly fine. I assume it has something to do with an 02 sensor that the bike got in 2007(I think?) and since it has an aftermarket exhaust with catalytic converter removed that's what I think is causing it but I am not sure. I will post a video soon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Google where you can read your FI code from (it'll be a port under your seat) (google 'SV650 dealer mode').

Its a really easy job, you'll find which pins in the port to short with some wire, the FI code will come up on your clock (it'll be C+++). Take down the code number and google the code and you'll find all the codes listed.

Its a very simple procedure to get the code from your bike, don't be intimidated. Post up here and if I can't point you in the right direction I'm sure someone else will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭Abu94

Google where you can read your FI code from (it'll be a port under your seat) (google 'SV650 dealer mode').

Its a really easy job, you'll find which pins in the port to short with some wire, the FI code will come up on your clock (it'll be C+++). Take down the code number and google the code and you'll find all the codes listed.

Its a very simple procedure to get the code from your bike, don't be intimidated. Post up here and if I can't point you in the right direction I'm sure someone else will.

Thanks, I will have a look. I was wondering if it's safe to ride in the meantime. I have to let the bike stall then start it again for it to run fine, if I turn it off before it stalls, it will do exactly the same thing and drop the revs. The revs get stuck as well if I rev it when it is starting to drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jU4Kbb5dCA&feature=youtu.be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Abu94 wrote: »
    Thanks, I will have a look. I was wondering if it's safe to ride in the meantime. I have to let the bike stall then start it again for it to run fine, if I turn it off before it stalls, it will do exactly the same thing and drop the revs. The revs get stuck as well if I rev it when it is starting to drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jU4Kbb5dCA&feature=youtu.be

Sounds like a TPS to me, its common on the SV and DL's. The code in 'dealer mode' will tell you if it is.

If it is, to read about it might scare you a little but its just finicky to do but nothing too technical. If its the TPS it'll cost well over €100 (just for the part) from Suzuki, buy it from Ebay for about €80 delivered. I'm not sure what a mechanic will charge you, but if its a TPS then PM me and I'll try guide you through the process, there's a bit of work in it (striping panels off, lifting the tank (handy on the SV's) then getting to the part.

But before taking my word for it we'd really need to dealer mode code because I could be very wrong too.

Unfortunately I can't tell you if you're safe to ride it or not, sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭Abu94

Turns out somebody was messing with the ECU, I took it to mototuning and Gary sorted it out for me and tidied up the bike as well. 5 star service no doubt about it, cleaned up the bike as well by installing a few missing bolts and fixing other minor issues without me asking. Could not recommend him highly enough.

Advertisement