Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle madness :Starting off

Options
  • 01-10-2017 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey, so I have decided to hit the road and look at getting my first motorbike.
    For my age being ahem 35 I can go unrestricted but I am trying to keep costs down re insurance, bike purchase etc.
    So i am really looking for some input from the road masters out there. I do motorway miles so should I go for a 250 or 500? What bike should I go for light weight etc. I certainly am not looking to buy new. First time insurance Axa, Carole Nash etc? How much am i looking at (fingercrossed not back to the stage of my pimply faced, balls dropped youth for driving a car) I have the PPSN card boxed off and IBT instructor recommended so its just the next step.

Appreciate any advice..

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Get 600cc at least, you would be mad to get anything less at your age. You'll have to do your IBT and test on a 600 anyways for the unrestricted A category.

If you're doing lots of motorway, then you'll want something comfortable with a good fairing for wind protection.

For pure commuting you can't beat a Honda Deauville, but you might find it a bit boring. Other options might be a Ninja 650, FZ6, Bandit, F800 etc.

Try Liberty insurance website to get an idea. Put some fake details in and it will give you an online quote. Insurance should be very reasonable at your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Get 600cc at least, you would be mad to get anything less at your age. You'll have to do your IBT and test on a 600 anyways for the unrestricted A category.

If you're doing lots of motorway, then you'll want something comfortable with a good fairing for wind protection.

For pure commuting you can't beat a Honda Deauville, but you might find it a bit boring. Other options might be a Ninja 650, FZ6, Bandit, F800 etc.

Try Liberty insurance website to get an idea. Put some fake details in and it will give you an online quote. Insurance should be very reasonable at your age.

Just to echo Pugzilla here.

I have a Deauville myself and it's a grand bike for commuting and maybe some light touring too. It's not exactly a sexy bike and to some ain't the prettiest, but they're damn reliable, good weather protection so you can ride it year round, great mileage and extremely comfy at height (6"1')

With that said, go for the 600cc bike, the jump from 250 to 600 is noticeable and honestly much better.

I went with Principal Insurance myself and got sorted for about €400 fully comp on a provisional licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭caldew

Be careful. Not a bad bike but the Honda Deauville cannot be used for the driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Honda CB500,grand bike for starting off and will do everything you want of it as a newbie biker.
    A year on that will fly by and then you will have a years experience and a years NCB.

Got a CB500 as a first bike and still have it. So easy to ride, has enough power at normal road speeds and will run forever. Never selling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

How much motorway miles are you doing?
    I had a 2015 CB500X, it was useable on the motorway, but at 60km a day pure motorway, it was lacking a little bit, and tended to sit at quite high revs, giving a bit of vibration and buzz, which got tiring. Not sure how other bikes in that range compare for gearing, but in hindsight I should have tried something a 600/650. I upgraded to a Tiger 800 after 6months and really enjoying it, very comfy on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Very easy to increase the gearing on a chain driven bike, just fit a larger front and/or smaller rear sprocket.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

thos wrote: »
    How much motorway miles are you doing?
    I had a 2015 CB500X, it was useable on the motorway, but at 60km a day pure motorway, it was lacking a little bit, and tended to sit at quite high revs, giving a bit of vibration and buzz, which got tiring. Not sure how other bikes in that range compare for gearing, but in hindsight I should have tried something a 600/650. I upgraded to a Tiger 800 after 6months and really enjoying it, very comfy on the motorway.

Just to note, my CB500 is the older generation that was discontinued in 2003. It has a bit more power than the current CB500 range.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/cb500/1994/

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭caldew

Kawasaki ER6 if you're not too tall

• Registered Users Posts: 27 scarebus03

I was 39 last September when I started the IBT and was never on a bike before. Passed the test in March and now have nearly 8,000 miles done this year and two bikes in the garage. I haven't looked back. As others have said forget the 250cc and go straight to 600/650. A 250 on a motorway will drive you nuts, even a 600/650 can be hard work on 2hr+ motorway stints. I have an Er6f and a Kz1000 and shortly I hope to add a GTR as well. For the A test check the RSA website to see what 600/650 machines are eligible and buy good gear or you'll be miserable in winter. Bandit S, Er6f, Yamaha diversion, fazer etc all great starters. Stay away from cruiser types for a start and buy a faired machine.

Happy riding

• Advertisement
Advertisement