Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Us to Eu adapter

Options
  • 01-10-2017 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get a cheap adapter for a us plug. I recently bought a laptop and even tough I specified to sent me the us.
    I looked online at adverts and found one for 2e. But thats in dublin and I wont be going dublin for atleast a week. If possible I would be willing to pay a big higher for such adapter, but not as that high. I was told to try dealz ?.
    I am usually travelling between limerick and cork city so if anyone knows a place there where I can get myself a hand of one of them.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If its a laptop power adapter/charger, they are mostly universal voltage. Check on the label, if it says 110-220v, just cut off the US plug and fir a 13A normal one, with a 1-3A fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Eurogiant for €1.50. Or just do the above if you're comfortable rewiring a plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    If its a laptop power adapter/charger, they are mostly universal voltage. Check on the label, if it says 110-220v, just cut off the US plug and fir a 13A normal one, with a 1-3A fuse.

It says 100-240v

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

TheChizler wrote: »
    Eurogiant for €1.50. Or just do the above if you're comfortable rewiring a plug.

Eurogiant you mentioned, is that called eurogeneral, can you point me to the address, any near walking distance to washington street?.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's a poundshop. They're all over the place, Wilton, Douglas, Merchant's Quay shopping centres have them. Deals is another one, there's one on Grand Parade which is at the top of Washington St. Tesco would probably have them too just they might be more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

Adapters are clunky to carry and I wouldn't use one for long term use - especially not the pound world ones.

changing the plug is your best bet - but if you are unsure about it (its not difficult)

- just replace the whole cord that plugs into the laptop power brick.

It will likely be one of three types
    * a Figure 8 (used often in kitchen radios - some tvs, ps3 etc - most likely this one)
    * a shamrock or clover shaped plug (trickest to find)
    * a kettle lead type (typical desktop PC plug)

You may have one already on another electrical item - if not try any currys/pc world/did that is local to you.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement