Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College at 17??

Options
  • 01-10-2017 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all
    I am a sixth year student from Mullingar and am looking for advice. I will be sitting my leaving cert in June and am doubting myself a lot. I have a general idea of what I want to do in college (business studies or something along those lines) but I have not narrowed down my options or where I want to study.I will be 17 this month meaning I will be in college at 17.Although I am mature for my age I feel very anxious about leaving to go to college in less then a year,and feel I am not ready for the leaving cert(then again who is!!).I did not do transition year and I am only just in the range of points I would need to do some of the courses I am looking at.I am very driven but would much prefer to have another year under my belt before heading off the college.Can anyone give me some advice or options??thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was 17 in the March of my LC. Academically, going to college wasn't a problem, although I could have done with having more life experience / maturity.

Quite a few people go to college at 17 and some even at 16 (I think most colleges ask that you be 16.5 when starting).

You have until January to decide where you want to go to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

Why not take a year out? If you think your age is a problem that’s what you should do. Honestly, you will face the same challenges no matter your age. I was 17 going into college, I’m now 21 with a degree

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wait and see what happens. Try your best to get the points you need this year and if you do, defer your place and go working or volunteering under the EU scheme (they pay you, not much, but an allowance). See some of the world and life.

If it doesn't work out and you don't get the points, you can repeat.

Pre TY, we were almost all 17 going to college. When you get there, your class will be all sorts of ages.

The main thing is to get your place. Then you have options.

Advertisement