Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helpful Advice for a Beginner

Options
  • 01-10-2017 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭

Hi folks this white door frame has a Gloss finish im thinking of painting it a brown tan colour something like the door in photo

i know this is going to be a tiresome job do i have to sand it down or can i get something that will make life easier also those hinges were door was in photo whats best to fill them up make them square im a novice so any help basic please appreciated

thanks folks

Leslie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Anyone ?

ok thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I don't know for sure, but I'd say sanding it would break your heart- I'd imagine you'd be better off with paint stripper, but that's speculation on my part!
    You might get more answers in the diy forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

To fill the holes get 2 part wood filler.
    For painting, sand the frame lightly , if using water based paint you will need a primer such as Bin , if not just paint with gloss or satinwood

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭budhabob

Is the other down simply stained / varnished? If so, youre never going to be able to get them to match, and will probably draw the eye more than having them completely different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

You'll also never manage to hide where the hinges were, it's nearly impossible to get something like that perfect, especially the edge. Could you source a little bit of wood the right thickness and then cut to size, stick it in place, and then fill in the gaps before sanding and painting?

budhabob wrote: »
    Is the other down simply stained / varnished? If so, youre never going to be able to get them to match, and will probably draw the eye more than having them completely different.

the other is stained tell me is varnish a better job ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭budhabob

torrevieja wrote: »
    the other is stained tell me is varnish a better job ?

Varnish and stain will only work if you strip the door back to timber, which will be very difficult to do. It depends what the end goal is. If the end goal is to have the 2 doors matching, then the easiest option is to paint them both one colour. Getting back to wood on a painted door isn't worth the hassle, buying and hanging a door would be much easier (more expensive in pure cost but less in time / hassle / agro).

that's just my opinion anyway.

Advertisement