Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trike info

Options
  • 29-09-2017 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the legal standing for getting a trike on the road?

Lic needed / yearly tax rate etc.
    Are they treated a bike or a car?

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think a significant challenge will be insurance.

There are two broad families of trikes - car derived trikes and motorcycle derived trikes. In Europe, some countries, such as the UK, you can get the cat A with the '79.03' restriction after passing the driving test. This entitles you to drive cars and car derived trikes. From a licencing perspective in Ireland, I think it's probably an interesting exercise. Having said that, I wouldn't take any chances as we don't have any specific legislation for trikes - if I were in your shes and wanted the easiest life possible, I'd rather have both a full A and a full B licence.

Many trikes will be classic cars such as Reliant Robins, VW beetles and some others. I reckon passing them off as cars is probably the way you could get on the road but at best, they are heavily modified cars. I did see a guy on a VW trike in my area spinning around without a helmet but again, I wouldn't imagine every Guard would leave you go unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

cantdecide wrote: »
    I think a significant challenge will be insurance.

There are two broad families of trikes - car derived trikes and motorcycle derived trikes. In Europe, some countries, such as the UK, you can get the cat A with the '79.03' restriction after passing the driving test. This entitles you to drive cars and car derived trikes. From a licencing perspective in Ireland, I think it's probably an interesting exercise. Having said that, I wouldn't take any chances as we don't have any specific legislation for trikes - if I were in your shes and wanted the easiest life possible, I'd rather have both a full A and a full B licence.

Many trikes will be classic cars such as Reliant Robins, VW beetles and some others. I reckon passing them off as cars is probably the way you could get on the road but at best, they are heavily modified cars. I did see a guy on a VW trike in my area spinning around without a helmet but again, I wouldn't imagine every Guard would leave you go unchallenged.

As said above ,two types...

Car type = no respect, no matter how many tatts you have or how long your beard is..

Bike type...as above ,but even less respect...

:P:D

Advertisement