Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are out-of-bundle data rates so crazy?

Options
  • 29-09-2017 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I don't use my phone as a phone much, I almost always have wifi. The odd time, once in a blue moon, I'd like to use data, but the prices are crazy. With Three it's €1.01 per mb?!

Even Tesco mobile are putting their out of bundle price UP instead of down, soon to be 10c per mb (was 3c). Lycamobile 9c per mb. Vodafone €1.99 per 100mb. Meteor were €1.60 per 100mb but might have different plans now as Eir.

When will the madness end, won't somebody think of the children etc. Why are the prices so ridiculous? Is there nobody with a reasonable rate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They have to charge the same all over europe. So if they give you 1c/MB here, they have to give it in France and lose a fortune every June/July/August.

Purchase a 500MB/1G addon.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭^pt^

Does that really still apply now that your regular bundle data also works in Europe? Most people are getting bundled data I'd imagine.

The addons expire in 30 days, so it's really not worth it for how little data I'd want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

ED E wrote: »
    They have to charge the same all over europe. So if they give you 1c/MB here, they have to give it in France and lose a fortune every June/July/August........

Oh?

Three UK seem happy to offer 3 - 2 - 1 on payg

Doubt this is unprofitable for them.

( 3p/min to call, 2p for txt 1p/MB I think ? )

Oh?

Three UK seem happy to offer 3 - 2 - 1 on payg

Doubt this is unprofitable for them.

( 3p/min to call, 2p for txt 1p/MB I think ? )

Geez that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They do it because they can.
    ComReg needs to wake up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

Due to the new EU regulations, your data and voice bundle is valid all over the EU, as if you were at home. This has led to significant reductions, to us, the users. They are now scrambling to keep their income stream via other routes. My provider charges about €8.00 per Mb for data roaming outside the EU, a significant increase on what it was before the new regulations.

Can't really be surprised, nor blame them.

elperello wrote: »
    They do it because they can.
    ComReg needs to wake up.

Considering writing to Comreg but I don't know if it would achieve anything. They wouldn't get away with ridiculous rates for SMS out of bundle, I don't see why data is so different.

Advertisement