Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LaTeX editors

Options
  • 29-09-2017 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, beginner LaTeXer here, can anyone recommend an editor for Linux?

I briefly tried TeXmaker last night, and found it to be a horrible mess. Maybe I need to get familiar with it though. TeXstudio wasn't much better.

Of the ones I've tried, the best has been browser based, ShareLaTeX.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_TeX_editors

Everyone has their own favourite. Yeah it can be painful to learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Pelvis wrote: »
    Hi Guys, beginner LaTeXer here, can anyone recommend an editor for Linux?

I briefly tried TeXmaker last night, and found it to be a horrible mess. Maybe I need to get familiar with it though. TeXstudio wasn't much better.

Of the ones I've tried, the best has been browser based, ShareLaTeX.

Yep I use ShareLatex too. Using it right now in fact to write ISO WG21 papers. The fact you can share editing with others is very, very useful.

Niall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I tend to do a lot from inside RStudio so end up embedding LaTeX in Rmarkdown documents. If I don't have a need for showing code/plots I use TeXworks. It's not very feature rich but it's what I've gotten used to using

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

For anyone interested, I believe I have settled on an editor. VS Code!

Just install the LaTeX Workshop extension, and follow the steps at the following to be able to build the document and view the PDF in VS Code.

https://pmateusz.github.io/latex/2017/03/29/vs-code-latex-editor.html

Tis a pleasure to use!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

I used ShareLatex for my FYP Report a few years back. Can't remember having any ill-feelings towards it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement