Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Graphics Card

Options
  • 29-09-2017 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I built this PC a few years ago and have upgraded SSD recently but decided to give it to my son for some gaming. I don't need for it's original use anymore.

Don't really want to spend more than €200 euro but the machine was built for web design and photo-shop etc., but I'm sure it would be good enough with the right graphics card.

CPU was never overclocked either.

Any recommendations for this build upgrading the graphics card within budget?

ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 - Socket 1155
    Cosair SSD 512GB 2.5
    Zalman Z11 Plus High Performance Mid Tower
    Corsair Vengeance - 16 GB 1600 MHz PC3-12800
    ASUS GeForce ENGTX550 Ti DC/DI/1GD5 - 1GB - PCI-E HDMI/DVI
    Thermaltake - SMART Series - 750W ATX12V 2.3/ EPS12V 2.91
    Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W)
    Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

That thing may have been built for web design and photoshop, but any decent GPU would turn it into a monster gaming rig. The CPU still holds it's own with modern i5 and i7's for gaming. Can also be overclocked for a bit of extra oomph.
    A second-hand GTX 970 is usually under 200. Very solid card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Thanks for that.
    I would to get a new one, "Santa" present and have been doing some research this morning. The GTX1050ti by MSI seems to be a really good price at the moment and a reasonable. I don't think he's gonna be playing too many games at ultra or high.

Would this be an ok card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Whats the monitor is your son is planning to use?

The 1050Ti is an alright card but you might as well go a few bob more and get a 1060 or 580 and have something that will last for years.

The monitor is only a 1080 led. Not a gaming monitor. There are two monitors but where only used for ease of access when coding and testing websites. The monitors don't match .

Would the 1060 3gb be better than the 1050 4gb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sup08 wrote: »
    Would the 1060 3gb be better than the 1050 4gb?

Yes, the GTX 1060 is double the performance.

Advertisement