Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking Clubs that accept youths

Options
  • 29-09-2017 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Looking for a walking club in Meath, Louth or North Dublin that accepts youths (age 16). My lad likes the walking/hiking but my walking club don't and won't allow "junveniles".
    Also are they mountaineering clubs in the region that take 16 year olds?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

'Insurance' - the modern curse! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BarryD2 wrote: »
    'Insurance' - the modern curse! :)
    I don't think it's just insurance, although that certainly plays a role, but also child protection concerns. Some clubs do allow under 18's but only if accompanied by at least one parent/guardian which doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Cannon_fodder

Alun wrote: »
    I don't think it's just insurance, although that certainly plays a role, but also child protection concerns. Some clubs do allow under 18's but only if accompanied by at least one parent/guardian which doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

which clubs though? is there a list on mountaineering.ie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

which clubs though? is there a list on mountaineering.ie ?
    There's a list of clubs, but no explicit mention of under 18's policy.

I just remember seeing it mentioned on a few clubs' websites while browsing around, not necessarily ones in the Dublin/Wicklow area though.

Sorry I can't be of more help, maybe try contacting Mountaineering Ireland directly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Alun wrote: »
    I don't think it's just insurance, although that certainly plays a role, but also child protection concerns.

Probably and all tied together. It's getting to stage where 'children' have to be protected so much, it's likely bad overall for their health and society in general.

I see in Mountain Log, that Mountaineering Ireland organises various climbing events (both indoors and out) for young people and that'd be deemed a deal riskier than normal hillwalking. So must be some schemes, ways around it.

When I was 16, we went hill walking through a school club. And it had a greatly beneficial influence on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

There seems to be a bit on here, including links to some clubs.
    http://www.mountaineering.ie/Youth/

Most clubs use the Mountaineering Ireland insurance scheme, which allows them to take under 18s (as far as I'm aware). The problem is less insurance and more the hassle of all the child protection stuff, which most clubs don't want to take on.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

I saw posters up last week recruiting for the Blanchardstown scout group's Ventures section -- that would be a better shout for a 16yo who wants to do outdoorsy stuff than an adult hiking group.

https://www.facebook.com/BlanchardstownScoutGroup/

Advertisement