Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Honours Irish for an Adult ?

Options
  • 28-09-2017 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm thinking of doing this. Might at least in theory allow me to retrain as a Primary Teacher and I'm interested in the subject anyway.

Bought the exam papers a few weeks ago. Could anyone help me though regarding what books are likely to be needed ? If I was to do it in 2019 ?. Does it change a little bit from year to year what's required ?.

Kilroys College do a 'Correspondance Course' and one must source exam centre's oneself. Would rather not enrol now, want to 'brushup' and become familiar with the syllabus first.

Anyway advice appreciated.

Thanks S :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

These would be your Sraith Pictuir. (.pdf) for 2019.

https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/IR-EX-66536562.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

Bear in mind that in 2018 the Irish entry requirement to primary teaching will be a H5 but it is proposed to be H4 in 2019 https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/maths-fail-in-old-higher-level-will-be-enough-for-primary-teaching-1.3237445

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

You have listening and an essay on P1 (can range from pretty much anything like terrorism or second level education).

On P2 you have 2 comprehensions, a poetry question (based on either Géibheann, Colscaradh, An Spailpín Fánach, Mo Ghrá-Sa or an t-Earrach Thiar), a short story question (based on Oisín i dTír na nÓg, Gnáthrude, Hurlamboc, Dís or the movie Cáca Milis). For the final question you can do it on a novel/play (I know you can choose either A Thig Ná Thit Orm, an Trial or two other plays/novels idk) or a series of extra poems (not sure of their names)

For the oral you have to read one of the 5 poems I listed above aloud, recite a picture sequence (there are 20 of them to learn) and then have a chat with the oral examiner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

As a (mature☺) adult ,I can see that so much of the curriculum is focused on answering questions,rather than than developing a love or even understanding of 'what one is doing'. The focus on 'questions'and exams seriously limits the scope for this.

Reading the sample papers and trying,for now,simply to understand them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Spirogyra wrote: »
    As a (mature☺) adult ,I can see that so much of the curriculum is focused on answering questions,rather than than developing a love or even understanding of 'what one is doing'. The focus on 'questions'and exams seriously limits the scope for this.

Reading the sample papers and trying,for now,simply to understand them.

Don't be worried too much about the layout of the exam or whatever just yet. Focus on getting your Irish up to scratch first. My advice would be to invest in an Irish grammar book and start working your way through the exercises in that. At the same time start practicing the reading comprehensions in the paper II's of each exam. Being able to read and comprehend the language is of huge benefit.

Rather than jumpin straight into the aural sections of the exams I'd advise maybe listening to Radio na Gaeltachta or TG4 to tune your ear into hearing and comprehending spoken Irish. Once you're starting to get the hang of it, give the aural exams a go but don't be off put too much if you struggle with them too much. They just take a bit of getting used to.

The most important part of the Irish course by far however is the oral aspect. Your oral exam is worth 40% of your final grade. If you're a bit rusty on the language I'd 100% advise you getting a tutor or grinds or some sort of help here just to ensure that you're pronouciation and grammar and everything in this section is spot on. You'll find a couple of YouTube videos online reading each of the required five poems so try to learn how to say each one perfectly! It's an easy 35 marks to pick up. Spurious above has listed the 20 sraith pictuirs which you need to prepare. It's an absolute pain but every candidate has to do it. Just be able to describe what happens in each picture and be able to ask and answer some basic questions on each picture too. This part of the oral may seem tedious but look if you can get it done well it's a good few extra marks in the bag. Finally the general conversation aspect is nothing to fear. Firstly you'll discuss things like yourself, your family, your background, your local area, etc. As an older student I can guarantee you'll be asked why you're doing Irish now and what your plans for the future are in terms of college and that. Outside of that you could be asked some abstract stuff about the Irish language, current affairs, the environment, anti-social behaviour, etc. But if you do get asked these kinds of things it means you're doing quite well and they're trying to push you to do even better so don't be too dismayed if this does occur. All in all though I do recommend some sort of tutor or something just to get yourself sorted 100% for the oral - it's worth such a huge percentage of your grade that you just want to make sure you're sorted for it.

In terms of the poetry and prose on the second paper you'll notice that each of the prescribed poems and texts also have an unprescribed question underneath it. This means if you've done poems/bits of prose during your study of Irish in the past you're more than welcome to answer on them here assuming they fit certain criteria (found here on page 5 section (b) and page 6 section (b): https://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Information/Curriculum-and-Syllabus/Senior-Cycle-/Syllabuses-and-Guidelines/lc_irish_syllabus.pdf). Hopefully this will make it a bit easier for you in your studies. Also note there's nothing wrong with you doing 4 poems from the prescribed section and 1 from the unprescribed or 3 prose from the prescribed and 2 from unprescribed cause you'll only answer on one poem and one prose on the day of the exam so they won't know if you did 5 of the same or not.

The only other two sections are the additional prose and the essay. For the additional prose I don't know if you've encountered any of the texts before but if you have go for that. If not I'd advise doing either An Triail, Gafa or a Thig na a Thit Orm because you'll find most resources available online for these three. That's just my opinion however.

As for essays, once you feel like you've got your grammar together and you've built up vocabulary from your study of other parts of the course, pick a topic each week an write an essay. Over time you'll figure out a structure that suits you and you'll learn nice phrases and seanfhocails you can throw into any essay. Too many people worry too much about the essay when it's only worth just under 16% in the grand scheme of things - which is honestly not much. Get to it when you're good and ready.

I wish you all the best with it and hope everything works out for you. If you've any questions you can always hop on boards and ask! Go n-éirí leat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Don't be worried too much about the layout of the exam or whatever just yet. Focus on getting your Irish up to scratch first. My advice would be to invest in an Irish grammar book and start working your way through the exercises in that. At the same time start practicing the reading comprehensions in the paper II's of each exam. Being able to read and comprehend the language is of huge benefit.

Rather than jumpin straight into the aural sections of the exams I'd advise maybe listening to Radio na Gaeltachta or TG4 to tune your ear into hearing and comprehending spoken Irish. Once you're starting to get the hang of it, give the aural exams a go but don't be off put too much if you struggle with them too much. They just take a bit of getting used to.

The most important part of the Irish course by far however is the oral aspect. Your oral exam is worth 40% of your final grade. If you're a bit rusty on the language I'd 100% advise you getting a tutor or grinds or some sort of help here just to ensure that you're pronouciation and grammar and everything in this section is spot on. You'll find a couple of YouTube videos online reading each of the required five poems so try to learn how to say each one perfectly! It's an easy 35 marks to pick up. Spurious above has listed the 20 sraith pictuirs which you need to prepare. It's an absolute pain but every candidate has to do it. Just be able to describe what happens in each picture and be able to ask and answer some basic questions on each picture too. This part of the oral may seem tedious but look if you can get it done well it's a good few extra marks in the bag. Finally the general conversation aspect is nothing to fear. Firstly you'll discuss things like yourself, your family, your background, your local area, etc. As an older student I can guarantee you'll be asked why you're doing Irish now and what your plans for the future are in terms of college and that. Outside of that you could be asked some abstract stuff about the Irish language, current affairs, the environment, anti-social behaviour, etc. But if you do get asked these kinds of things it means you're doing quite well and they're trying to push you to do even better so don't be too dismayed if this does occur. All in all though I do recommend some sort of tutor or something just to get yourself sorted 100% for the oral - it's worth such a huge percentage of your grade that you just want to make sure you're sorted for it.

In terms of the poetry and prose on the second paper you'll notice that each of the prescribed poems and texts also have an unprescribed question underneath it. This means if you've done poems/bits of prose during your study of Irish in the past you're more than welcome to answer on them here assuming they fit certain criteria (found here on page 5 section (b) and page 6 section (b): https://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Information/Curriculum-and-Syllabus/Senior-Cycle-/Syllabuses-and-Guidelines/lc_irish_syllabus.pdf). Hopefully this will make it a bit easier for you in your studies. Also note there's nothing wrong with you doing 4 poems from the prescribed section and 1 from the unprescribed or 3 prose from the prescribed and 2 from unprescribed cause you'll only answer on one poem and one prose on the day of the exam so they won't know if you did 5 of the same or not.

The only other two sections are the additional prose and the essay. For the additional prose I don't know if you've encountered any of the texts before but if you have go for that. If not I'd advise doing either An Triail, Gafa or a Thig na a Thit Orm because you'll find most resources available online for these three. That's just my opinion however.

As for essays, once you feel like you've got your grammar together and you've built up vocabulary from your study of other parts of the course, pick a topic each week an write an essay. Over time you'll figure out a structure that suits you and you'll learn nice phrases and seanfhocails you can throw into any essay. Too many people worry too much about the essay when it's only worth just under 16% in the grand scheme of things - which is honestly not much. Get to it when you're good and ready.

I wish you all the best with it and hope everything works out for you. If you've any questions you can always hop on boards and ask! Go n-éirí leat!
    Thank you Bazinga,thats good advice,could you maybe recommend a Grammar book? Thanks☺

Thank you Bazinga,thats good advice,could you maybe recommend a Grammar book? Thanks☺

I used this one: https://www.schoolbooks.ie/collections/leaving-cert-irish-books/products/cjfallon-graimear-meanscoile

It's very comprhensive but I found it a bit difficult to understand at times!

It might be best to just pop into your local bookstore and flick through the ones they have and see which one you like best.

I used this one: https://www.schoolbooks.ie/collections/leaving-cert-irish-books/products/cjfallon-graimear-meanscoile

It's very comprhensive but I found it a bit difficult to understand at times!

It might be best to just pop into your local bookstore and flick through the ones they have and see which one you like best.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

If you are doing leaving cert Irish in order to meet the requirements for primary teaching, then an alternative route is TEG http://www.teg.ie/faqs.150.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Well....it is an exam. With 50,000 or so Leaving Cert students they have to find a way to test them and see who deserves which grade.

In terms of preparation - make sure you get a grinds teacher. Don't go with the cheapest who's just out of school themselves. Kilroy College sends you notes and corrects your work. That won't improve your Irish, which you'll need to get a H4 (depending on what you're starting from).

I'd recommend you go with A Thig ná Tit orm for the extra piece of prose. The questions are easier to understand and answer than some of the others.

For now maybe just work on the oral for the next few months and that will help your written work later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement