Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Maths for Adults

Options
  • 28-09-2017 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey. I did higher level maths up until the day of my leaving cert and dropped to ordinary level. Always liked maths but when I was in school the maths teacher wasn't the greatest.

Anyway I want to start doing maths again but don't know where to start. Any maths books out there that are good for adults to start off with? I would like to look at algebra, trigonometry, logs, differentiation, integration, probability and geometry.

Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you are in Dublin, you could resit it following night classes. You'd give yourself a better chance with a teacher than without.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sharky30

Cheers. I'm nowhere near Dublin and had thought of night courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

If you're well motivated, which you certainly seem to be, and have studied Higher Level Maths before, then I think that you'll find that the LC textbooks are pretty good for a self-directed learner.

If you did your LC more than 5 years ago, you should note that the syllabus has changed quite a bit, and is quite different in style from the old one - more emphasis on problem solving and doing maths in contexts.

Good luck, and don't forget that there are some very good online resources too, such as Khan Academy.

Finally, once you get up and running, we friendly folk over in the Maths forum always try to be nice to anyone who's putting in an effort and looking for a bit of help.

Advertisement