Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to college

Options
  • 28-09-2017 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has any information that could help me 😬 I'm 26 and thinking about going back to college to study engineering. I dropped out in second year of an arts course when I was 22.

I'm wondering about grants and funding really.. I received back to education allowance when I did the arts course and I got a fees grant for first year.

Does anyone know if I would receive the fees grant the second time around and the BTEA..

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Juicystar11

Hi,

First of all, fair play to you for considering returning to education having been out of the system for a few years. It's not an easy decision to make but I think it would have a hugely positive impact on your future. There seems to be a big demand for skilled engineers these days.

In general, the rule that applies is that if you have received a grant for year 1 and year 2 while doing Arts and you then decide to start a new course from year 1 - you will not be entitled to a grant to cover your fees for Year 1 and Year 2. This is because you've already used your free frees for those years on a previous course.

However, there is an exception called the 5 year rule. If 5 years have passed since you dropped out of your arts course, you can start year 1 of a new course and be entitled to free frees again. In a way, with regards to fees, you are treated as if you never did the arts course and this is your first time starting 3rd level.

I hope this makes sense :)

Advertisement