Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike warranty

Options
  • 27-09-2017 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My bike (carbon fibre) recently developed a crack in the frame. The bike shop where I bought the bike has closed down since my purchase.

I contacted the current Irish dealers for the Swiss manufacturers, who passed on my warranty claim.

The manufacturers have rejected the claim on the basis that the crack must have been caused by an impact and is not due to the material degrading.

I am not happy with this. It is impossible to say how the crack started, they have only seen pictures. Of course I cannot prove how the crack started, but I am not happy to accept their convenient view that it was due to an impact.

Further even if it was caused by a crack surely to be fit for use a bike should be able to withstand minor impacts. For sure no one went at it with a hammer.

Any suggestions how I might take this further would be very welcome.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

You cant'. Your consumer rights are with the seller, which in your cas has closed down.
    Unless there was an explicit manufacturer's warranty at the time you bought the bike, the manufacturer is not required to deal with your bike. As the manufacturer has already declined to repair it, you are out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

mdebets wrote: »
    You cant'. Your consumer rights are with the seller, which in your cas has closed down.
    Unless there was an explicit manufacturer's warranty at the time you bought the bike, the manufacturer is not required to deal with your bike. As the manufacturer has already declined to repair it, you are out of luck.

Typically higher end frame manufacturers would provide a warranty of some degree on their frames.

OP if the manufacturer has claimed the damage was caused due to negligence then of course you can get an independent report done and contest their findings but I would have thought it would be a wasted effort.

Perhaps look into whether or not they do a crash replacement scheme this usually allows a heavy discount on another frame in the event of crash damage.

As per your post in the cycling forum if we had pictures to look at we could give a better opinion. Where did the crack occur? When did you notice it? How old is the frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closing this thread as the OP has a duplicate thread in the Cycling forum.

OP - Only one thread per topic please. Duplicate threads are really not good practice.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement