Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help selling a bottle of wine!

Options
  • 27-09-2017 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

First time posting so bear with me. I hope this is in the right place, if not, sorry! :-)

I have a bottle of wine to sell and am struggling with how to go about it. Now, before you kick into the 'it is impossible to sell a single bottle' hear me out! The bottle in question is a 2013 1.5L Magnum of Scarecrow Cabernet Sauvignon from the Rutherford Estate in Napa Valley, California. As far as I can tell this exact bottle will sell for anything from €1,200-€2,000 but I have seen prices go beyond that. The bottle itself is etched with a big waxed cap and presentation box.

It was given 100/100 by wine buff Robert Parker and here is what he had to say about the vintage: “The prodigious 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, including fruit from some of the oldest Cabernet vines still in existence in Napa. This full-bodied classic displays notes of forest floor, earth, crème de cassis, blackberry liqueur, licorice and some pen ink. It is dense, full-bodied, prodigiously rich, massive in intensity, yet relatively light on its feet. This great ballerina of a wine has extraordinary ripeness but pulls back from the edge before going over the top. There are 1,000 cases of this classic, which should age effortlessly for 30+ years.” – Robert Parker

I am currently on a career break at the moment and have plans to travel next May hence the reason for sale, plus, now I am in my thirties I seem to have lost the craving for a drink and the thoughts of a hangover are enough for me to need this bottle of wine gone.

So, if you have any advice on how best to move this along, be it, brick and mortar establishments or online any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

I am based in Connacht but can travel countrywide. Ideally I would love to sell this in ireland and not have to deal with any shipping and all that lark but am totally open.

I also realise the above may be a dead duck and if so, drinking it will be glorious.

Thank you kindly in advance.

:-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hi Smccoy

As this is your second post, just be aware that sell or trading on the forum is not allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 4 smccoy

Hey, no problem at all. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A big problem in buying high end wines is proving authenticity. So I'd be prepared to be challenged on that.

It's a very critically acclaimed wine, and Cali Cab commands a premium price. It's especially inflated due to all the "nouveau riche" who throw money around on it. I've never been involved in resale of wine, but I'd talk to a serious wine shop/merchant, like The Corkscrew or Searsons (or many others) who might know a potential buyer in their network of customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 smccoy

Hi all,

Just to let you all know that I have now sold the wine! Via Vintage Wine Investments in Dublin, had the money in my account within a couple of days! They must have really wanted the bottle.

I won't reveal how much i got but more than I expected.

There were certain questions re provenance (authenticity) but did not seem to bother them - when selling something you know is genuine is half the battle.

Thank you for your suggestions - had not even thought or heard of them.

Now to book a nice luxury holiday :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I don't think you can sell wine publicly...as in on Ebay or Adverts because you don't have a licence.

However, you can sell the bottle.....and give what's in it away for free....

I'm open to correction on this...

• Advertisement
Advertisement