Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viator - no refund

Options
  • 27-09-2017 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭

I didn't attend a trip recently while on holiday (it was my honeymoon actually) as there was a severe thunderstorm. The thundstorm started an hour before we were due to meet and lasted until well after the tour departed.
    The meeting point was in a very pedestrian area - to be honest it was in a very vague location "beside the bronze statue on the East boardwalk" kinda thing.

I contacted the company that day requesting a refund, it's been three weeks and I've not heard back from them. They're also blocking my review for them so when you see the trip on trip advisor you cannot see my review.

I'm really annoyed they can just take my money and ignore me, what can I do?

Viator is TripAdvisor company

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did the tour run?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

What were the cancellation terms when you booked the trip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

How do you think you are entitled to a refund? Did they cancel the trip? What are their T&Cs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Having gone on may tours and getting locations similar, I never had any problem finding the location. If you looked, you'd have found it.

I doubt you have any claim unless you have proof that the tour didn't run. You choose not to go. Therefore the company owes you nothing except maybe a polite email telling you that you have no valid reason for a refund. Actually they don't even owe you that.

I don't blame them for not displaying your review. How can you review a tour you choose not to go on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

L1011 wrote: »
    Did the tour run?

I don't know, they never replied.

Viator says it will issue refunds if tours are cancelled due to bad weather

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

If the tour ran you're not entitled to a refund.
    If you didn't go on the tour it would be dishonest to review it.

Tenigate wrote: »
    If the tour ran you're not entitled to a refund.
    If you didn't go on the tour it would be dishonest to review it.

How? I didn't say a dishonest thing in my review

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

GingerLily wrote:
    Viator says it will issue refunds if tours are cancelled due to bad weather

But they don't guarantee that tours will be cancelled due to bad weather.

It appears that the tour wasn't cancelled

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

GingerLily wrote: »
    How? I didn't say a dishonest thing in my review

Because it isn't a review of the tour if you didn't do it

If no refund or contact about cancellation came, it's likely the tour ran and you just didn't turn up

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    But they don't guarantee that tours will be cancelled due to bad weather.

It appears that the tour wasn't cancelled

So they can just run the tour when there's a severe weather warning and to avoid giving refunds?

Seems a bit unfair

• Advertisement

So they can just run the tour when there's a severe weather warning and to avoid giving refunds?

Seems a bit unfair

You choose not to turn up! The issue was with you and not the tour.

Seems a bit unfair

You are clutching at straws and looking for any excuse other than accept the fact. You decided not to go. You did not arrive to discover the tour was cancelled. You blame the company, the weather, the location instructions. But YOU decided not to go. Tough but it was your call.

You choose not to turn up! The issue was with you and not the tour.

It really wasn't a choice, there was lightening striking buildings around us.

And the streets were completely empty. Not a person in sight for miles. Just empty streets and deserted shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

What matters here is whether the tour was cancelled, if it was then you are due your money back, if it wasn't then it is considered a "change of mind" and no refund is due. Before putting up a review about something you might be entitled to, you need to establish if the tour actually went ahead. They may have taken shelter for a few minutes and then proceeded.

You are clutching at straws and looking for any excuse other than accept the fact. You decided not to go. You did not arrive to discover the tour was cancelled. You blame the company, the weather, the location instructions. But YOU decided not to go. Tough but it was your call.

What weather conditions would you deem reasonable for someone to claim they couldn't leave indoors? Just out of curiosity?

I made a choice to not risk my life, that's correct, but I doubt any honest business would refuse a refund in this situation.

I guess I learned my lesson, don't buy tours from "reputable" sources, they charge twice the price but won't responde to any valid complaints, there's no added service just added cost

davo10 wrote: »
    What matters here is whether the tour was cancelled, if it was then you are due your money back, if it wasn't then it is considered a "change of mind" and no refund is due. Before putting up a review about something you might be entitled to, you need to establish if the tour actually went ahead. They may have taken shelter for a few minutes and then proceeded.

Lol, did I say it was raining?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Did you enjoy your honeymoon besides?

Is your husband looking for a refund?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

pfft it's subjective. The mother in law won't drive if it's a slight bit of rain outside even if it's a sun shower as she calls that a thunder storm. Granted yours sounds like an actual proper storm.

Find out if the tour ran. If it did, then you have no recourse. If it didn't, then you should be due money back.

They should be allowed block your review because if you didn't actually take part in the tour then you can't give an honest review. It was probably more a rant than a review.

Try to find out if the tour ran is the first port of call. If the tour was cancelled then you would be entitled to your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Furasta

I made a choice to not risk my life, that's correct, but I doubt any honest business would refuse a refund in this situation.

I guess I learned my lesson, don't buy tours from "reputable" sources, they charge twice the price but won't responde to any valid complaints, there's no added service just added cost

You are more likely to die driving your car than going out in a thunderstorm, the odds are way against you getting hit by lighting. 

You paid for a service and you made your own choice not to go, end of story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

GingerLily wrote:
    Seems a bit unfair

The best advice I can give you is to let it go.

Here's something that I am learning more and more. So many things happen in life that we can't control. Some fair & some very unfair. What we can control is how we let them effect us. I'm at the stage in life where I try to avoid stress. I don't know how much the tour cost but I'm guessing not a lot. Even if you were in the right I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. It would be a shame to even remember this in years to come when thinking about your honeymoon.
    Congratulations on your wedding and I hope you have a great life together ahead of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I made a choice to not risk my life, that's correct

Where is everyone else from the tour, all killed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Lol, did I say it was raining?

No, did I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

How can you review something you didn't experience?

Bruthal wrote: »
    Where is everyone else from the tour, all killed?

Maybe that’s why no one has responded. All representatives of the company are dead.

Basically deciding not to go is the reason the OP will never be entertained when seeking a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

No such thing as bad weather OP, just the wrong clothes!!

Look at it this way, say you book tickets online for the theater.

On the day of the show you look outside and its all thunder n lightning n rain n winds, umbrellas are turning inside out, people are wearing the wrong clothes and you decide to stay at home and watch Corrie instead of venturing outside!?

Do you think you should get a refund on those tickets??

Advertisement