Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got an unexpected phonecall from a company in New York

Options
  • 27-09-2017 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice here, please.

Last night I got a phonecall from an investment management company in New York advising me that they are mounting a hostile takeover bid on an Irish company in which I own some shares.

The person I spoke with had my name, address, phone no. and knew the amount of shares I hold.

They sent me an email containing a pdf file with a non disclosure agreement form attached, which they requested I sign and return as soon as possible.

They would then send on forms to enable me to sell my shares to them.

Question:

Is this a normal occurrence with company takeovers or should I be very wary of this approach. The urgency with which they want me to sign a non-disclosure agreement makes me a bit wary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Comhra wrote: »
    Looking for some advice here, please.

Last night I got a phonecall from an investment management company in New York advising me that they are mounting a hostile takeover bid on an Irish company in which I own some shares.

The person I spoke with had my name, address, phone no. and knew the amount of shares I hold.

They sent me an email containing a pdf file with a non disclosure agreement form attached, which they requested I sign and return as soon as possible.

They would then send on forms to enable me to sell my shares to them.

Question:

Is this a normal occurrence with company takeovers or should I be very wary of this approach. The urgency with which they want me to sign a non-disclosure agreement makes me a bit wary.

Sounds like a scam.
    They likely got your information from the shareholder register which is publically available.

They will probably ask you to pay for something to complete the transfer etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

The company in question would be well aware of 'any' take-over bids.. It would be advisable to contact them first. It may well be true and factual, you may even get a higher offer!?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The company in question would be well aware of 'any' take-over bids.. It would be advisable to contact them first. It may well be true and factual, you may even get a higher offer!?
    I would ring the company's investor relations team as well.

By the way, you have no obligation to sell your shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭98-00

I got a similar call from an English man claiming to be in Switzerland years ago. He called 3 times, twice I was too busy to talk, actually the second time I put the phone in my pocket and let continue talking, I pulled the phone some minutes later and he was still talking. The third time I just said I wasn't interested and told him never to call again, he didn't. As mentioned your details are on a semi-public record, I think, they pay to get access to it. It's open to scammers and genuine dealers.

Advertisement