Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower Thoughts

Options
  • 27-09-2017 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I was in the Shower last night and a Spider above me, was wrapping up his prey (not sure what it was) with a tonne of web. It made me wonder, he spends all that time and energy wrapping it up only to have to unwrap it? Or do they just eat it covered in their own web? Like a Taco Spider-web wrap?

Also, sometimes I push the spider into the shower and it looks like he's playing dead. You know how they do that sometimes as a defence mechanism anyway.
    But then the next day I came in and he was still playing dead. I presume the weight of the water attached to their bodies causes them to become weighed down completely? But then they're so small and thin, does the water not just fall off?

Now, the only reason I didn't push the one wrapping up his prey last night, into the shower, was because I would have felt bad because he did all that hard work for nothing. I wanted to let him have one more meal before I push him in later on in the week.

Maybe I should watch a documentary on Spiders or something. They're fascinating creatures. As many as I kill, there's always another 5 lined up the following week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Don't kill spiders !
    Put them out in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Don't kill spiders !

But, mid-shower?

My Neighbor: "Jesus whats Tommy doing, running around outside, in the nip again!"

Me: "Yeah, just releasing the spiders!"

My Neighbor: "He must be on something"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Thoughts?
    Its mostly me replaying arguments in my head but coming up with an absolute zinger of a put down.
    That, or winning hypothetical arguments too.

One such thought though:

- You should always give deaf people a 'thumbs up' if yawning in front of them so they don't think you're screaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

BaRcOe wrote:
    Also, sometimes I push the spider into the shower and it looks like he's playing dead. You know how they do that sometimes as a defence mechanism anyway. But then the next day I came in and he was still playing dead. I presume the weight of the water attached to their bodies causes them to become weighed down completely? But then they're so small and thin, does the water not just fall off?
    Well you do know the legend of incy Wincy Spider...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Leave the poor spider alone, he's keeping your house bug free

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Don't kill spiders !

Do the indoor spideys just not die slowly and painfully when you put them outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

It may be a myth, but I understand why dogs scratch at their bed for snakes / other things lying in wait before they lie down. A spider dropped out of a towel after I had a shower once as I was wrapping it around me and ever since I've shaken out my towels...

🤪

hytrogen wrote: »
    Well you do know the legend of incy Wincy Spider...

I had to look it up, not gonna lie,

Incy Wincy spider climbing up the spout
    Down came the rain and washed the spider out
    Out came the sunshine and dried up all the rain
    And Incy Wincy spider climbed up the spout again

But...in my case, there was no sunshine...or spout for that matter.. RIP Robbie <3

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    It may be a myth, but I understand why dogs scratch at their bed for snakes / other things lying in wait before they lie down. A spider dropped out of a towel after I had a shower once as I was wrapping it around me and ever since I've shaken out my towels...

I once woke up in a hostel in Amsterdam after a heavy night of drinking, with Kebab on the back of my tshirt. Ever since then I have shaken out my tshirts before going to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

BaRcOe wrote: »
    Also, sometimes I push the spider into the shower and it looks like he's playing dead. You know how they do that sometimes as a defence mechanism anyway.

Another popular defense mechanism with some of the bigger spiders is to run at you in an erratic pattern hoping that you will take fright and leave them alone.

I'd advise leaving them alone as long as they are gobbling up the blasted moths!

• Advertisement

check_six wrote: »
    Another popular defense mechanism with some of the bigger spiders is to run at you in an erratic pattern hoping that you will take fright and leave them alone.

I'd advise leaving them alone as long as they are gobbling up the blasted moths!

Not the only moths to get blasted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

As many as I kill, there's always another 5 lined up the following week.

Then stop killing them and the others will stop going to the funeral.

Then stop killing them and the others will stop going to the funeral.

:D Brilliant. Didn't know spiders had funerals though. Many widows in my bathroom.. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

I had to look it up, not gonna lie,

Incy Wincy spider climbing up the spout
    Down came the rain and washed the spider out
    Out came the sunshine and dried up all the rain
    And Incy Wincy spider climbed up the spout again

But...in my case, there was no sunshine...or spout for that matter.. RIP Robbie <3

I also know an old lady who swallowed a spider
    That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her
    She swallowed the spider to catch the fly
    But I don't know why she swallowed the fly
    Perhaps she'll die

Advertisement