Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Finance Killing Off Portfolios?

Options
  • 26-09-2017 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,915 ✭✭✭✭

Google Finance is under renovation. As a part of this process, the Portfolios feature won't be available after mid-November 2017. To keep a copy, download your portfolio.

This is complete and utter bullsh1t! I have had my Google Finance Portfolio of about 100 shares I watch and a handful that I own open in the first tab of every browsing session since the dawn of tabbed browsing years ago, my browser will feel naked without it.

There is no alternative service that lets you get an overview of the markets and your own holdings performance at a glance like Googles portfolio imo.

This will p1ss off a lot of people with the influence to stop it I reckon, everybody I know who invests has a Google portfolio. What do they think Google employees use to monitor their holdings? Its dangerous walking around logged in to your brokerage account or having it open on a work pc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

What about morning star's portfolio tracker?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    What about morning star's portfolio tracker?
    Or Trustnet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Can you migrate things over?

I seem to remember someone who pulled the data down onto excel and is able to get his excel to update the process with currency fluctuations automatically. Is this possible?

Seems a bit weird they want to take it down. Any reason why?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

The best solution is to use Google Sheets, you can input tickers and FX rates that update in real time. You can also input your cost price in euro easily and therefore see quickly what the tax situation is etc.

See this guide: https://chrisreining.com/using-google-spreadsheet-to-track-a-stock-portfolio/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

They're killing portfolios as we currently know it but they are creating a new one. They have not stated what features it will have but it said they will automatically migrate all existing portfolios to the new system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Seems a bit weird they want to take it down. Any reason why?
    Probably not being used enough to justify cost/maintenance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Yahoo Finance is okay, and has a mobile app too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,915 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They're killing portfolios as we currently know it but they are creating a new one. They have not stated what features it will have but it said they will automatically migrate all existing portfolios to the new system.
    Where did you hear that? All the Reddit threads seem to think they're pulling it because the live prices dont pay for themselves.

Thargor wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? All the Reddit threads seem to think they're pulling it because the live prices dont pay for themselves.

On the support site https://support.google.com/finance
    As part of this updated experience, you’ll still be able to:

Follow the stocks you’re interested in - the list of stocks in your portfolio will be migrated into the new experience on Google automatically
    Receive the latest industry news and market trends

Yeah but right underneath that it says:
    However, as part of this updated experience, the Portfolios feature will no longer be available. To keep a copy for your records, download your portfolio now.

To give you time to download and consider alternative services, this change won't happen until mid-November 2017.
    That reads to me like "You will still be able to look up Teslas share price but as far as seeing what your Tesla holding is worth and what your losses or gains are you can jump off a bridge..."

• Advertisement

Yeah but right underneath that it says:

That reads to me like "You will still be able to look up Teslas share price but as far as seeing what your Tesla holding is worth and what your losses or gains are you can jump off a bridge..."

Maybe, we will just have to wait and see what they do.

Any more alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 clocktow

I was okay with Yahoo Finance as a replacement but recently found wallmine portfolios (I believe they're quite new) and have everything I need for my tracking. Thankfully the transfer of portfolios from Google Finance to other services is quite easy. I'm curious to see the Google's new experience they mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

The changeover has happened. The new google finance looks like crap, very disappointing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

Hmmm...
    I'm still seeing the old version. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

I tried using Morningstar instead but I find it not so useful because I can't find some of the less well known ETFs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Definitely using the UK version?

No your portfolio is still there and working fine it's just a bit awkward to get to, go back through your history and click on previous links that you knew used to work, one of them will load your pf, then just save that link and use it in future.

Sometimes the new one loads for me and it's a sick joke, completely pointless list of random stock price spam articles.

If you go to http://finance.google.com (or .co.uk) then it will load the old version. http://google.com/finance will load the new version.

The new one so far is utter garbage. I expected more from google.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 irish_investr

Agree that google sheets is the way to go. It takes a bit of setting up but well worth it, to have a live spreadsheet where you can add and remove columns, formulas, etc as you choose. In addition to the link above, I also have placed a tutorial and tracker here

http://irishinvestor.ie/index.php/investor-tools/market-monitor/

Personally, I am glad at least that google is doing something. GFinance has been more or less abandoned for years. Now maybe, MAYBE something good will come out of it :)

As for Morningstar, I dont like that site at all. Too much tooting their own horn :)

• Advertisement

Personally, I am glad at least that google is doing something. GFinance has been more or less abandoned for years. Now maybe, MAYBE something good will come out of it :)

As for Morningstar, I dont like that site at all. Too much tooting their own horn :)
    But if it was abandoned it was left in good working order, it just worked better than anywhere else, relevant news and upcoming dates on the side, scroll-able graphs with all the technical indicators, auto updating prices while the markets were open, relevant figures for all the companies on your watchlist and holdings all in one row etc, everywhere else is inferior. We already know what the new Google Finance is, its a broken, pointless page load of irrelevant links and old news stories. They even dumbed down the graphs for no reason.

I don't get it. If anything Google could have easily cashed in with a like for like transfer to an app . They probably could have made money with a pay as you go live share price
    Compared to degiro, degiro is about as informative as a cement block.

Looks like they finally put a bullet in it. The new redesign is so amazingly bad I honestly cant believe it, its like someone learning how to make a website made it.

Are there any alternatives that even came close? I cant access Yahoo Finance at work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Looks like they finally put a bullet in it. The new redesign is so amazingly bad I honestly cant believe it, its like someone learning how to make a website made it.

Are there any alternatives that even came close? I cant access Yahoo Finance at work.
    FT.com has one that is ok but it is not as tidy.

Advertisement