Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop connects to phone hotspot but can't access internet

Options
  • 26-09-2017 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Windows 10 laptop connects to internet fine through Wifi router.
    My Moto G phone connects fine to internet via data connection.
    My laptop connects to the phone's hotspot but won't access internet. Message on browser: "This site can't be reached. Server DNS could not be found".
    Windows troubleshooter says, "your dns server might be unavailable".
    I've completely disabled Firewall, but it made no difference.

I have 2 Windows 10 laptops, and they are behaving identically. My home Wifi is very slow, so I need to use the laptop with the increased speed of the hotspot for a particular event. Soon. Starting to stress.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

You need to allow sharing internet connection over wifi?

http://www.wikihow.com/Share-an-Internet-Connection

P.S. There is a reason why your home wifi is slow... Maybe it's worth to find out what's the reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 renga

Thanks PrzemoF. I didn't organise the info in my initial post very clearly, and I gave you the wrong end of the stick. Take 2:
    1) I need to access internet on my Win 10 laptop from the Hotspot on my MotoG phone
    2) The laptop connects to the phone's hotspot, but can't access internet there, although the phone itself gets internet fine.
    3) The laptop is also able to get internet fine via Wifi. It just won't get it through the hotspot.

(I only mentioned the slow home internet as explanation for why I wanted to use the hotspot. It's slow because I live in the sticks and there's no competition between providers.)

PS I tried attaching another phone to my MotoG hotspot and the issue was the same as with the laptop: It connected to the hotspot, but could load any internet. This leads me to the conclusion that the problem lies with my phone's hotspot setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Can you ping 8.8.8.8 from the laptops when you're connected to the hotspot? Have you set DNS addresses on the laptops? If so, remove them. If not, try use Google DNS.

roast wrote: »
    Can you ping 8.8.8.8 from the laptops when you're connected to the hotspot? Have you set DNS addresses on the laptops? If so, remove them. If not, try use Google DNS.

Thanks, roast. Attached is a screengrab of me pinging 8.8.8.8 when on the hotspot. I didn't set DNS on the laptops. I don't know how to do that, nor where to get Google DNS values.

• Advertisement

Did you set up the hot spot like this? [1]. What's you mobile provider? I know that some providers used to block sharing internet a while ago.

[1] http://devicehelp.boostmobile.com/scenario/Moto_G/Boost_Mobile/en/Set_Up_as_a_Wi-Fi_Hotspot

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Did you set up the hot spot like this? [1]. What's you mobile provider? I know that some providers used to block sharing internet a while ago.

[1] http://devicehelp.boostmobile.com/scenario/Moto_G/Boost_Mobile/en/Set_Up_as_a_Wi-Fi_Hotspot
    Thanks, PrzemoF. Essentially yes, though the menu options were a little different. However, I have established that my provider (Three) sent a settings-update (which they claimed was necessary for the data plan to work) which invisibly disabled hotspot capability on my phone. It is now my quest to find out how to undo that bit of nastiness. Here's my exchange with Three: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057791082

Advertisement