Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father John Misty - Vicar Street May 28th 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Hopefully will be better than the last one at the same venue - place was crawling with ar$ehole hipsters more interested in talking sh!te to each other loudly or running to the bar/toilet incessantly. Think I'll aim to get a balcony seat this time to avoid such vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭deeks

Just tried now. Standing seem to be gone. Disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭deeks

Think there was just some issue with my Ticketmaster. Got them now. Phew!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Another date added, just picked up 2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Saw him in the Roisin Dubh a couple of years back, fantastic show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Limerick91

An unbelievably good gig last night. I think there are some tickets available for Wednesday night, it would be certainly worth shelling out a few €

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

How many people in the crowd had beards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

what time did it finish at? Can't wait for tonight. Nice setlist from last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

what time did it finish at? Can't wait for tonight. Nice setlist from last night.

Finished just after 11.

Setlist here, but seems to be changing it from gig to gig.

Thought last night was just ok. He seemed to be going through the motions a little compared with other times I've seen him. Where I was standing, the sound was very muddy in parts too and the usual rubbish from the crowd: chatting, constant trips to the bar and recording the whole bloody thing on their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Finished just after 11.

Thought last night was just ok. He seemed to be going through the motions a little compared with other times I've seen him. Where I was standing, the sound was very muddy in parts too and the usual rubbish from the crowd: chatting, constant trips to the bar and recording the whole bloody thing on their phones.

It seems all of those types chose John Misty over Broken Social Scene, thankfully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Who was support act, going to be late getting to gig later, so hoping to time arrival between him and the act, if there is one? Did he come on about 9ish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

thalia_13 wrote: »
    Who was support act, going to be late getting to gig later, so hoping to time arrival between him and the act, if there is one? Did he come on about 9ish ?

Saint Leonard’s horses was the support act.

Stage times last night were

8:30 - support
    9:30 - Father John Misty

• Registered Users Posts: 37 busterp

Finished just after 11.

Unlucky, I was expecting the worst kind of drunk crowd with that late start, but we were slap bang in the middle of the crowd and didn't have anyone pushing past, no chatters and barely any phones out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

It seems all of those types chose John Misty over Broken Social Scene, thankfully

I think it’s the luck of the draw. I was at the front rail for BSS and had to move about halfway through due to the two American head melters behind me. They were talking (screaming) throughout each song and then going absolutely ape**** applauding afterwards, even though they were barely listening. C*nts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I am going along tonight. I saw him in London a couple of years back and he was very good. I have avoided going to gigs recently as other people annoy me too much. I keep telling myself that I won't change other people so I am going to have to put up or shut up. But by jaysus reading the above makes a part of me dread tonight.

D9Male wrote: »
    I am going along tonight. I saw him in London a couple of years back and he was very good. I have avoided going to gigs recently as other people annoy me too much. I keep telling myself that I won't change other people so I am going to have to put up or shut up. But by jaysus reading the above makes a part of me dread tonight.

Was that the Roundhouse gigs a few years back? I was at one of those and it was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Support was only on stage for about 30 minutes.
    Some of his band were in the upstairs smoking area having a pint and a fag before the gig.
    We were upstairs and the sound was excellent and we could not hear any talking except in between songs
    Oh-yeah about 40 % of the men had beards!!!!!

Was that the Roundhouse gigs a few years back? I was at one of those and it was fantastic.

Yeah. He played a cover of Closer by Nine Inch Nails which still lives in the memory. The energy was pretty eh energetic. Very good gig. But I was seated away from the hoi polloi so I had very few human beings to cope with (I was surrounded by a friend on one side and my brother on the other side).

I was at a Magnetic Fields gig in the Concert Hall late last year and Stephin Merritt stopped the gig and asked a fella waving a phone in the air to put it away. I loved him for that.

Saint Leonard’s horses was the support act.

Stage times last night were

8:30 - support
    9:30 - Father John Misty

thanks a million for that, much appreciated!

Yeah. He played a cover of Closer by Nine Inch Nails which still lives in the memory. The energy was pretty eh energetic. Very good gig. But I was seated away from the hoi polloi so I had very few human beings to cope with (I was surrounded by a friend on one side and my brother on the other side).

I was at a Magnetic Fields gig in the Concert Hall late last year and Stephin Merritt stopped the gig and asked a fella waving a phone in the air to put it away. I loved him for that.

It's that energy that I thought was missing from last night's gig, tbh. Maybe it was the fact that they'd all been travelling around a bit. Hopefully tonight is better! I've seen him three times now and the others all had a lot more energy.

Regarding phones, I've been to two gigs (Jeff Mangum in Vicar St & Kraftwerk in Bord Gais Theater) where phones weren't allowed and both were better for it. If I remember right, at Kraftwerk, security would just shine a light at anyone who had their phone out until they put it away. After one or two, nobody else did it.

• Advertisement

It was a good gig. He definitely played with a lot less energy than before, but it didn't suffer too much for it. The sound was a little dodgy in the seats to the left of the stage. He played all the favourite tunes apart from Chateau Lobby. Some of the new songs are good, but I had spent a little time familiarising myself with them on Spotify. The gang I was with all enjoyed it. Definitely more of a concert than a show. Which is a pity as he is such an enigmatic performer. But his music and voice are good enough to stand alone.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

It was a good gig. He definitely played with a lot less energy than before, but it didn't suffer too much for it. The sound was a little dodgy in the seats to the left of the stage. He played all the favourite tunes apart from Chateau Lobby. Some of the new songs are good, but I had spent a little time familiarising myself with them on Spotify. The gang I was with all enjoyed it. Definitely more of a concert than a show. Which is a pity as he is such an enigmatic performer. But his music and voice are good enough to stand alone.

Chateau Lobby #4 was the second track.

Indeed, not sure how I forgot.

Really enjoyed gig, brought a friend who didn't know his stuff and they loved it. Hadn't seen him since Longitude so appreciated the smaller venue vibe.

Only gripe was this twat in an ugly check shirt vaped constantly and talked loudly throughout. Even after being asked to be quiet.

I don't know why people go to gigs if they aren't going to listen to the music and want to have full on conversations about life... Go to the bar to have the chats....

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beecee

Surprised about the complaints about energy. I thought it was a great show on Monday!

Crowd was good too. Nicely packed, but not so that you couldn't move or get in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

thalia_13 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed gig, brought a friend who didn't know his stuff and they loved it. Hadn't seen him since Longitude so appreciated the smaller venue vibe.

Only gripe was this twat in an ugly check shirt vaped constantly and talked loudly throughout. Even after being asked to be quiet.

I don't know why people go to gigs if they aren't going to listen to the music and want to have full on conversations about life... Go to the bar to have the chats....

Was he not told to shut the fúck up the 2nd time?

People really need to be more harsh with talkers during gigs. Its creeping more and more into Irish gig culture. We need to stamp it out. Its a major no no.

It isn't a complaint about energy, more an observation. It was remarkable how energetic he was previously. The videos below show how frenzied he would get at the end of some of his songs.

Anyway, to anyone going tonight, enjoy! You're in for a treat.

The Nal wrote: »
    Was he not told to shut the fúck up the 2nd time?

People really need to be more harsh with talkers during gigs. Its creeping more and more into Irish gig culture. We need to stamp it out. Its a major no no.

He was but he just didn't seem to care, him and his missus had absolutely no interest in the gig at all. Nor did their pals, another couple, but they thankfully fecked off to the bar for a chat after being told to shut it again.

Really gets on my nerves. I never got to thank the guy who shut them up the second time as he left the area. If you read this beardy guy in leather jacket, thank you!

On the subject of poor behavior at gigs, there were morons near me on Monday night that kept getting up on each other's shoulders. Just obnoxious in that size of a venue (or anywhere, really).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Who's been the support the last 2 nights and were they worth catching?

Advertisement