Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior Painting in November?

Options
  • 26-09-2017 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'm looking into painting the exterior of my house and the painter that was recommended to me is only available to do the job in November.

Should I wait until next spring or is it safe (as long as it's dry obviously) to paint a house in November in Ireland? (Co. Wicklow)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I'd imagine most painters worth their reputation wouldn't paint outside during the winter months.
    Personally speaking, I waited until mid spring to have my house painted.

All of the painters who quoted, advised me to wait and it makes sense.
    It's an expensive enough job without half doing it.

You're looking for a dry, warm enough day which will allow enough time for both application and adequate drying.
    You're never gonna be guaranteed that in winter in Ireland.

If you can afford to wait until next spring, do so and book your painter now, for then.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 smythy25

Thanks a mill, think I'll take your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Exterior painting in winter is a gamble at best. Not only do you have to contend with the weather, but also the lack of daylight hours. e.g. if you start painting in the afternoon, then you have limited time for the (weak) sun to dry the paint. My advice would be to book the painter for the end of March/start of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Pauley2

Exterior paint that I used stated that temp shouldn't drop below 6deg during drying. I took a chance anyway and it didn't dry properly - was still wet the next day. Eventually it did dry but I'd stick to the instructions on the can/paint manufacturer in future...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,291 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We did paint the exterior of our house in December before for Christmas but it was a dry Winter and we had no issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement