Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telecommuting and Canada

Options
  • 25-09-2017 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience with this? Would love to do a stint in Canada while maintaining the current job but im not sure of what visa I would need or even if its allowed. Cant seem to find anything online so even a bit of direction would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

This is how CIC define work

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/about.asp

As far as I'm aware, so long as your employer has no connections to Canada (offices or clients) then you should be ok to work on a visitor visa. However, you would want to have paperwork to back this up if you decide to go on a visitor visa.

The other alternative is applying for IEC if you are under 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

This is how CIC define work

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/about.asp

As far as I'm aware, so long as your employer has no connections to Canada (offices or clients) then you should be ok to work on a visitor visa. However, you would want to have paperwork to back this up if you decide to go on a visitor visa.

The other alternative is applying for IEC if you are under 35.

A nice one! So the paragraph thats most applicable is :
    long distance (by telephone or Internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada
    My employer does have two offices in Canada but I would technically be employed by the Irish arm etc. I am under 33(in my 20s). I feel like the IEC might be the better route for access to public services(if required) am I correct in saying that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Doylers wrote: »
    A nice one! So the paragraph thats most applicable is :
    long distance (by telephone or Internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada
    My employer does have two offices in Canada but I would technically be employed by the Irish arm etc. I am under 33(in my 20s). I feel like the IEC might be the better route for access to public services(if required) am I correct in saying that?

I would definitely get IEC in your case. Having offices in Canada complicates things, IMO, IANAL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I would definitely get IEC in your case. Having offices in Canada complicates things, IMO, IANAL

Got an IEC invite there last night! Seems there were a good few left in the final round haha

Advertisement