Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site Review For Interview

Options
  • 25-09-2017 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Hey Everyone,

Quick Debate time, when applying for a job / getting ready for an interview do you think it's a good idea to open up the console and take a peak at how your potential employer is handling their website?

I have a phone interview later and for this specific place their page load time is between 6 - 7 seconds, when looking at it I saw 93 image requests. Some of these images were used as backgrounds for headers, footers, items on the page, when all of this could easily be done with CSS.

Do you think it's a good idea to talk about this in a phone interview or is a bit cheeky to say "well your site takes ages because of reasons X, Y, Z". It would not be something to slate them more a way of saying well I know what I'm doing and here's an analysis of your site to prove it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Sometimes the corporate site is not even handled by the development team of the company you are applying to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

Did you think to ask who was responsible for the corporate website?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If you know for a fact that the person on the phone deals with this site or least cares about it then maybe you would work it into the conversation.

However tread carefully. You cant just say "hey your website load time sucks". Potentially the person you are speaking to had some involvement in the creation of the site and you may end up insulting them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 bapraster

I think you could highlight that fact, that it could be optimized and loading faster if they change something so you'll show yourself as someone who has some knowledge about web development and that you bringing attention to details. I think it is good idea to talk to them about it but maybe don't say that they has crap website, say only that it need attention and you know what should be hanged to improve it.

Advertisement