Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of starting riding

Options
  • 24-09-2017 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Have always admired old and old style bikes like triumphs and Enfield's and the more I think about it the more I want to be able to ride one of these in the future, just curious as to what do people think is the best way to begin riding, bike wise,licence etc I have my drivers licence so don't know whether that counts for anything. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A whole big thread about starting at the top of the page.

Driving a car has almost no impact.

Theory test, learner permit (category you can apply for depends on your age), then IBT, six months of practice until you can sit your full test, and finally test on a bike approved for the category you are going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

michaelp97 wrote: »
    Have always admired old and old style bikes like triumphs and Enfield's and the more I think about it the more I want to be able to ride one of these in the future, just curious as to what do people think is the best way to begin riding, bike wise,licence etc I have my drivers licence so don't know whether that counts for anything. Thanks

Much of it depends on your age. Maybe you were born in 1997 based on your username. However, most of the bikes you're be interested fall under the A2 category - basically, medium power bikes. Your existing car licence won't mean much to you in terms of bikes. There is a learner thread which would be a good place to ask more specific questions once you have them.

The advice I give everyone under these circumstances is go get your learner permit and complete the mandatory training. This means you arrive with a learner permit and nothing else and you are given instruction, the use of a bike, the use of the gear without any further expense than the cost of the theory test, permit and training. If it's something you're liking, you can start investing in your own bike and gear and you have also been given the training to pass the test (except maybe a couple of pre-test lessons later).

Theory test - €45
    Learner permit - €35
    IBT - less than €500
    Bike - your choice but at least €1,000
    Gear - €300 - €1,000 (depending how much effort and compromise you are willing to put in)
    Test applcation - €85
    Pretests - €100 - €200
    Add category to your full licence - €55

Advertisement