Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser surgery for very high prescription?

Options
  • 23-09-2017 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here had experience with getting laser done with a high prescription? Im 29 and have very poor vision, -6.50 left eye and -9.00 right eye. Can see perfectly fine with glasses and contacts but blind as hell without them!

I would really like to get laser done as I've worn glasses since I was about 6 and contacts since I was 18 and it's a bloody expensive when you think about it. I yearn to wake up and be able to see first thing in the morning without having to use glasses or lenses!

So has anyone here been in a similar situation to mine and if so where would you recommend to look into for surgery? I'm based in Clare but as the prescription is so strong I don't mind travelling a bit to make sure that someone competent does the surgery. I'm also aware that I'll most likely need glasses again in 10 to 20 years if all went well but I could live with that if I got a decade or more out of the surgery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Sent you a pm about my experience with Optilase there.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

I had it done at -6 and -6.5 in the mater private approx 10yrs ago. In. Last two yrs they've started to disimprove slightly but no need for glasses....... seemingly it's age related 😉

Very glad I did it...... can still remember how weird it was to wake up and be able to see... plus when I'd read in bed I'd hold a book about 2 inches away- after the op I had moments of panic when I couldn't read( but that just cos it was too close!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

I had it done at -6 and -6.5 in the mater private approx 10yrs ago. In. Last two yrs they've started to disimprove slightly but no need for glasses....... seemingly it's age related 😉

Very glad I did it...... can still remember how weird it was to wake up and be able to see... plus when I'd read in bed I'd hold a book about 2 inches away- after the op I had moments of panic when I couldn't read( but that just cos it was too close!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I had mine done at -7.5. The thing I never realised was there's an age limit and I was just on it. It is so amazing that something I did for 30 plus years is now a distant memory.

The only thing is I suddenly developed very bad hay fever. I presume glasses and contacts sheltered my eyes.

I got mine done in Optilase five years ago.

I know someone who got it done at -9, apparently -10 is the limit, or at least was at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Actually it's funny it never bothered me when I was small or even in work wearing lenses. What got me thinking was when I got an eye infection and had to wear my glasses. The job I had was in a building with piles of stairs and I was terrified of falling.

It's not a bit painful. I had my Mam with me but actually I could've driven home. The funny bit was when the surgeon went flying on the stairs going down to the operating theatre. And you're all lined up like an assembly line.

Advertisement