Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for rough idea on cost

Options
  • 22-09-2017 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Looking for a rough idea on a price for the below

Knocking down 2 stud walls about 20 feet long(not load bearing)
    Removing gas fire
    Taking up 30 kitchen floor tiles
    Removing toilet and sink
    Fitting 8 spot lights

All plastering done as well

Got one quote but found it high

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

What was the quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

BryanF wrote: »
    What was the quote?

6k not including VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    6k not including VAT

Wow I reckon that was an eff off price unless there's something missing like your on a 6th floor apartment with no lifts or something
    Half that would be a well paid job in normal circumstances.

Wow I reckon that was an eff off price unless there's something missing like your on a 6th floor apartment with no lifts or something
    Half that would be a well paid job in normal circumstances.

Nah normal house.I did think it was a crazy figure but I have no experience pricing a job.
    Hopefully the second quote comes in a lot cheaper.

Don't think it was a f off quote as the builder has rang me twice asking if I am hiring him

Nah normal house.I did think it was a crazy figure but I have no experience pricing a job.
    Hopefully the second quote comes in a lot cheaper.

Don't think it was a f off quote as the builder has rang me twice asking if I am hiring him

So would I if I tought you were going to bite at that price feck it I'd even bring you out for dinner after wards

• Advertisement

Looking for a rough idea on a price for the below

1. Knocking down 2 stud walls about 20 feet long(not load bearing)
    2. Removing gas fire
    3. Taking up 30 kitchen floor tiles
    4. Removing toilet and sink
    5. Fitting 8 spot lights

6. All plastering done as well

Got one quote but found it high

1. General builder. Does works require making good before skimming?
    2. Register gas eng. does work require removal of gas pipe to other location? Builder making good?
    3. Once tiles are removed, who deals with floor prep, skirting, making good assuming whoever is tilling won't be doing that.
    4. Just removal? Capping drains or digging out? What level of making good is required?
    5. Electrician - rate per spot, cabling back to main board or can local spur accommodate?

6. Access
    7. Location for skip. Hire.
    8. Time to coordinated and effort/time making good after gas, plumbing & electrics
    9. Duration of contract. Dust Protection. You moving out? Clean as you go or at the end?

OP there is no way to even guesstimate this work. get 3 quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I think there is a lot more work being done that your not describing in the op.
    I think you need to describe the work more for use to judge the job

what are plastering or is it just patching .

remove toilet and sink is a small job, there must be more involved than that

can you elaborate please

I think there is a lot more work being done that your not describing in the op.
    I think you need to describe the work more for use to judge the job

what are plastering or is it just patching .

remove toilet and sink is a small job, there must be more involved than that

can you elaborate please

Everything I've said is in the first post
    The builder said he is going to plaster and "make good" all areas.
    We are putting in a washing machine and dryer into the down stairs toilet so he needs to add a couple of sockets

Everything I've said is in the first post
    The builder said he is going to plaster and "make good" all areas.
    We are putting in a washing machine and dryer into the down stairs toilet so he needs to add a couple of sockets

I'm just trying to find out why the quote is so high

I'm just trying to find out why the quote is so high

Thats the puzzle
    I tried pricing the jobs separate from other people online excluding plastering and it comes in roughly around 3k

• Advertisement

just did back of a fag box calculation based on what you say I could see it between 3-4000 plus vat.
    hard to tell without seeing it

what are you doing. are you knocking 2 rooms and bathroom into one big room. can we have a more over all description of the job

Thats the puzzle
    I tried pricing the jobs separate from other people online excluding plastering and it comes in roughly around 3k

Is there radiators on the stud walls
    Exactly how much plastering is involved is it just patching up or is there new ceilings going in.
    Your only real barometer is an actual builder out looking at it on line pricing generally covers worst case scenario .
    Is there any reason there might be a premium added like a short time frame . A well to do address poor access

just did back of a fag box calculation based on what you say I could see it between 3-4000 plus vat.
    hard to tell without seeing it

what are you doing. are you knocking 2 rooms and bathroom into one big room. can we have a more over all description of the job

Taking down the wall separating kitchen and hall
    Taking out wall separating kitchen and sitting room making it open planned.
    We are keeping the down stairs bathroom but putting in washing machine and dryer

We are keeping the down stairs bathroom but putting in washing machine and dryer

So is there relocation of rads involved
    Relocation of switches
    If so that much hacking of the ceilings prob a brand new ceiling to be plasterboarded and skimmed

Is there radiators on the stud walls
    Exactly how much plastering is involved is it just patching up or is there new ceilings going in.
    Your only real barometer is an actual builder out looking at it on line pricing generally covers worst case scenario .
    Is there any reason there might be a premium added like a short time frame . A well to do address poor access

Access is good and not sure how much plastering will be involved.
    Not getting ceilings done

so your removing the toilet and sink but leaving the room and putting in a washing machine and dryer. all the plumbing would be there only just a bit of rearranging. is the wall an outside wall for the dryer to vent outside.

so your removing the toilet and sink but leaving the room and putting in a washing machine and dryer. all the plumbing would be there only just a bit of rearranging. is the wall an outside wall for the dryer to vent outside.

No not an outside wall so no vent

what did the builders quote say about the scope of work. , there must be more work being done than you realise.

So is there relocation of rads involved
    Relocation of switches
    If so that much hacking of the ceilings prob a brand new ceiling to be plasterboarded and skimmed

No rads need to be moved
    The wall that's getting taken down is where the kitchen sink is.the wall also has a couple of sockets

what did the builders quote say about the scope of work. , there must be more work being done than you realise.

Didn't say it was a complicated job.
    Said it would be a weeks work

• Advertisement

No not an outside wall so no vent

how is the dryer being vented. where is the waste going . it cant go into the toilet waste pipe

No rads need to be moved
    The wall that's getting taken down is where the kitchen sink is.the wall also has a couple of sockets

Ah now we're getting somewhere the water services and waste pipes will have to be relocated to the new position of the sink .
    Do you have concrete floors depending on distance can be a nightmare

Ah now we're getting somewhere the water services and waste pipes will have to be relocated to the new position of the sink .
    Do you have concrete floors depending on distance can be a nightmare

The position of the sink is moving about 2 feet
    We ha e concrete floors

The position of the sink is moving about 2 feet
    We ha e concrete floors

Scratches head

They're two fairly important walls in a normal house one of them must be 99 times out of 100 load bearing .
    Who said they weren't load bearing did you get an engineer to sign off it was safe to remove with out some form of certified structural support.
    Not been an ass about it just trying to find something that the builder might of neglected to inform you but justifies the 6k plus vat cost

They're two fairly important walls in a normal house one of them must be 99 times out of 100 load bearing .
    Who said they weren't load bearing did you get an engineer to sign off it was safe to remove with out some form of certified structural support.
    Not been an ass about it just trying to find something that the builder might of neglected to inform you but justifies the 6k plus vat cost

Houses beside us had the walls knocked down by builders repairing the houses from pyrite.
    They also said they where not supporting walls

it seems high. maybe the builder values his time highly and charges accordingly.

it seems high. maybe the builder values his time highly and charges accordingly.

Perhaps
    He did say I would find a cheaper quote but the finish wouldn't be as good as his work(odd thing to say)

pyrite.
    this job is getting stickier

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    this job is getting stickier

How so?my house is completely pyrite free

Advertisement