Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mileage

Options
  • 22-09-2017 5:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭

I have been looking for a bike and most of them seem to be 20k+ miles with no service history. Is that a lot for a motorbike and how many miles does your motorbike have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Abu94 wrote: »
    I have been looking for a bike and most of them seem to be 20k+ miles with no service history. Is that a lot for a motorbike and how many miles does your motorbike have?

Depends on the bike. See alot of pan europeans amd tourers with high mileage.

My 99 hornet has 29900 and the blackbird has 37000.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭sleepysniper

I had a project VFR for a while - 109,000 miles up on it. Highest I've seen on 2 wheels, and it looked like it did every single one of them and then some...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

I've 80k on my sv now, not a bother on it! I'd be more concerned about no service history than mileage though. Factor in the cost of a full service, maybe brake fluids, bearings, coolant, valve clearances etc if you're buying anything expensive. If it's an old bike it's all part of the process!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I had a bandit with 85k kms on it and there were no issues. My V Strom has 40k kms and it runs great.
    Service history and general condition of the bike would be most important for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

20k miles is very little on any road bike, I'd expect a modern 4t engine to last well into the 100k+ territory with just basic proper maintenance, whether that's by the owner or main dealer wouldn't really bother me, I'd like to see receipts etc but it wouldn't be a stopper, I'd just be taking a closer look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Size up the seller as well as the bike.
    If he takes pride in his bike he will usually be only too glad to burn the ears off you with what he's done to the bike.
    Depends on the bike too.
    If it's a Ducati with 40'000miles and no evidence of how it's been taking care of, I'd be walking away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭Abu94

I've been looking at the sv650s specifically and it seems that most of then don't have service history. Another thing I am worried about is resale value, if I buy a bike with 20k miles and I put another 20 then I don't know if I will have a chance selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

My old Africa twin went around the clock....and was about a third of the way around the second time when I sold it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

45k on my H-D and no issues, and whilst serviced regularly, don't ask me to prove it :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Zebbedee

A quarter of a million KM's on an MT01 in Hungary.
    Mind you it's a low revving, unstressed engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I had someone tell me that 20,000 Kms on my 4 year old KTM RC8R with Full Service history was "Very High Mileage for that type of bike"

If the bike has been looked after properly mileage shouldn't be a to much of an issue, there will be wear and tear etc but that should be it.

Mate of mine is a bike mech and has seen bikes with over 100k miles on them and they're still going ok as they've been looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

grahambo wrote:
    I had someone tell me that 20,000 Kms on my 4 year old KTM RC8R with Full Service history was "Very High Mileage for that type of bike"

Lol, I know one lad who would put that up in 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'm not starting a p!ssing contest but I did see a courier Transalp years ago with 380k miles on it !! It was rough as a badgers arse but still going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

if you service my ktm every month it dosent get angry

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

A guy in US has put over 315,000 miles on a CBR600F4i and its engine has required no rebuild. That's Honda build quality, bulletproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Goose81

The engines are pretty good in bikes. My GSXR has a second engine put in, the clock says 33k but who knows how many miles are on the engine thats in it.

I had a valve clearance done and service it regularly and not really worried about it failing. Once they are looked after (unlike engine no1 obviously :D) they should give a lot of mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Pugzilla wrote: »
    A guy in US has put over 315,000 miles on a CBR600F4i and its engine has required no rebuild. That's Honda build quality, bulletproof.

I have a 92 CBR1000f 165000 miles..done most of them myself and its still pulling like a train...mind you I look after it

Advertisement