Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure Cooker safety valve blown - need advice

Options
  • 22-09-2017 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I have a Russell Hobbs Model RH001 pressure cooker. Lid photo attached. Yesterday the safety valve blew out (forgot to put in enough water!!).
    I can now see clearly thru' the hole in the safety valve - its parts shown on attached photo.
    Looks like it contained some sort of plug that melted with the temperature.
    Anyone know how to repair this please?
    MOTF
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Ebay.

Don't try to repair it yourself, you could end up with a bomb!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭manofthefora

Thanks for those comments. I was really after understanding how it is supposed to work. A new cooker is only about €20.
    There is already a spring controlled pressure valve on the lid. Presumably to take care of a situation where the weight is stuck and pressure builds.
    The thingy that blew on mine may have more to do with temperature excess. There was no water in the pot.
    The fact that the item in the attached photo can be dismantled into three parts suggest that you can just replace whatever plug substance was in it.
    So, not to beat it to death, but I am interested to understand the mechanism.
    MOTF

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭manofthefora

Problem solved.
    You can buy a thing called a "REPLACEABLE FUSIBLE PLATE".
    It's a very small metal-like disc that fits into the release valve described above.
    They are on eBay for about €3.
    It's a genuine Russell Hobbs spare part.
    MOTF

Advertisement