Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

claiming flat rate expenses as software engineer

Options
  • 22-09-2017 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

just wondering if anyone here claims flat rate expenses tax back as a software engineer.... I'm looking into it but i don't see software engineer listed as a specific occupation.... I do see engineers though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You mean as an employee right? Ring up revenue and ask them.

Contractors claim all kinds of flat-rate stuff, as allowed by guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

srsly78 wrote: »
    You mean as an employee right? Ring up revenue and ask them.

Contractors claim all kinds of flat-rate stuff, as allowed by guidelines.

yeah as an employee... just wondering if anyone had checked it out already

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I know people that claim it, but that doesn't mean it's allowed - would need to be audited to know for sure. Need official opinion from Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm an Electrical/Computer Engineer and have had no problem claiming the flat rate expenses, same with anyone else I've asked. It's self declaratory. Only worth ~€40 at the end of the day over the course of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

jobless wrote: »
    just wondering if anyone here claims flat rate expenses tax back as a software engineer.... I'm looking into it but i don't see software engineer listed as a specific occupation.... I do see engineers though

The flat rate expenses list is negotiated between the government and the union or trade body representing a profession. It's a special carve out specific to that profession only.

Software engineers have no such carve out, and so we cannot claim a flat rate expense allowance. We can bill relevant expenses not recompensed otherwise directly against income though, even as an employee. Just add them to your tax return, same as you do for health care expenses. Any accountant can advise on what can be expensed.

Note that as an employee, and as most employers of software engineers will operate an expenses repayment system, Revenue would demand a high bar of proof that some expense claim is valid. I'd strongly recommend hiring an Accountant if you go down that path. Still, it can be worth it, for example if your employer refuses to let you attend training conferences and you must attend at your own expense using your vacation time, that's usually an allowable expense as it's directly related to your employment. Again, do verify that with a professional adviser beforehand.

Niall

• Advertisement
Advertisement