Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licence question

Options
  • 22-09-2017 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

hi lads,

quick enquiry. i let my licence lapse a few years back. have booked my test and i am going to the ndls to renew my licence on saturday. what category do i tick A2 or A. i am 27

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

A but you will need to do an IBT I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

no have my licence since 2009. have not let it lapse over the 5 year mark

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ok if you had full "A1" before then go for "A" now, that is what the old unrestricted license turned into... good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The previous 'A-restricted' learner category is equivalent to the A2 learner category now- basically, medium power bikes. If the OP renews an A-restricted learner permit that began in 2009 (ie prior to mandatory IBT), then he can renew it today for the A2 and take and pass a test in A2 but he will never graduate to the full power cat A (as per the two year restriction regime)

As the OP is now over 24, he is entitled to add cat A to he learner permit. However, as you've said, this category would have to be validated by completion of IBT. At that stage he can apply for and take the cat A test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

cantdecide wrote: »
    The previous 'A-restricted' learner category is equivalent to the A2 learner category now- basically, medium power bikes. If the OP renews an A-restricted learner permit that began in 2009 (ie prior to mandatory IBT), then he can renew it today for the A2 and take and pass a test in A2 but he will never graduate to the full power cat A (as per the two year restriction regime)

As the OP is now over 24, he is entitled to add cat A to he learner permit. However, as you've said, this category would have to be validated by completion of IBT. At that stage he can apply for and take the cat A test.

Thanks lads. Have to take a new module in the ibt. Dont mind doing that tbh. Help me brush up on my skills

• Advertisement
Advertisement