Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe - winter hiking

Options
  • 22-09-2017 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi, can anybody recommend a destination in Europe for some good winter hiking? Am looking for somewhere to fly to cheaply, 3 days hiking, around late December/early November. And not requiring technical snow skills.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,943 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Ireland? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kerryite

I think it is going to be Ireland! Was hoping for some winter sun but the Mournes are looking tempting :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Kerryite wrote: »
    I think it is going to be Ireland! Was hoping for some winter sun but the Mournes are looking tempting :-)

Yep, the Mournes are compact and close to variety of accommodation options. Plenty of tracks too if the winter weather is wet and you don't feel like slogging across rough wet trackless ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Kerryite wrote: »
    Hi, can anybody recommend a destination in Europe for some good winter hiking? Am looking for somewhere to fly to cheaply, 3 days hiking, around late December/early November. And not requiring technical snow skills.

Thanks!

Zakopane, Poland. And take in the Krakow Xmas market too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

there's designated snowshoe trails near Mont Louis in the French Pyrenees and in Deux Alpes, in the french Alps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Mallorca maybe, not sure what it's like at that time of year. There's always the Canaries which are well known for Winter hiking but they will be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kerryite

Wow, all sound fab! Thanks for the tips :-)

I like the idea of going to Poland and maybe having a short city break too. Lots of ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A mate of mine hired a cabin in Norway early this year for a spot of winter hiking. By all accounts a great time was had by all, marked trails and plenty of snow.

Advertisement