Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is Applied Maths at Ordinary Level

Options
  • 21-09-2017 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Looking for a 9th subject. I'm already doing 8 at HL. How is this subject at OL if you're doing Hons Physics and Maths. I did an exam question on linear Motion this afternoon and I thought it was fairly handy (at ol).

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Why in the name of all that's holy are you looking for a ninth subject?! :p

You can only count 6 for points at the end of the day.

The more subjects you do, the less time you have to spend on each one ... there's a simple bit of applied maths for you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

If you really want to do the OL Applied Maths leaving cert exam, then you can do it as an external student in the year after your leaving cert. The only reason you would do it with 8 other subjects would be if you weren't doing a science subject. However, you appear to do Physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

naxmax9 wrote: »
    Looking for a 9th subject. I'm already doing 8 at HL. How is this subject at OL if you're doing Hons Physics and Maths. I did an exam question on linear Motion this afternoon and I thought it was fairly handy (at ol).

answering your question, if yobare dong hons physics and hons maths then ol applied maths is a doddle
    however leaving is a test to see how many points you can score so you can get a decent paying job
    i wouldnt bother
    i did seven subjects for the leaving cos you can only count six and i was ol for irish

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DaleyBlind

Since you're already doing 8 subjects at HL, are you doing this out of interest? If you're comfortable with HL Maths, you could probably teach yourself the whole OL applied maths curriculum in less than a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭naxmax9

DaleyBlind wrote: »
    Since you're already doing 8 subjects at HL, are you doing this out of interest? If you're comfortable with HL Maths, you could probably teach yourself the whole OL applied maths curriculum in less than a month.

Yes, I'm doing this out of interest. I just want to learn Applied Maths. Even if it's at ordinary level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 DaleyBlind

Yes, I'm doing this out of interest. I just want to learn Applied Maths. Even if it's at ordinary level.

Well if you still have time for your main subjects and you're interested go ahead. If you're looking to do STEM after school I'd highly recommend doing applied maths.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If you're doing HL Maths and Physics then OL Applied Maths should be easy enough. You need to do HL to get any depth into the topics though and I'm not sure if HL Applied Maths is manageable with eight HL other subjects.

Advertisement