Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best floor for kitchen

Options
  • 21-09-2017 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭

Hi,

we're doing a bigger refurbishment in the house we just bought. It also includes a new kitchen and we need a new floor for it. It's a kitchen-dining room and there are currently cheap cement tiles in. They're laid on the concrete directly and yer man didn't seal them, it's a pretty half-arsed job altogether. We want to get that changed and have new floors in the whole room (has about 15 sqm).
    We were debating for 2 days now what would be the best bet, we have 2 kids, one of them small and a dog. I'd like to have something easy to clean and durable enough.

I'm kind of attracted to Moroccan tiles, but I'm not sure on how that would work in the kitchen.
    I can't imagine wooden floors being the best either unless it's a very hard wearing one and for that I don't think we have the money.

We just can't settle on anything and would appreciate some opinions on what's working out well for a reasonable price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,587 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I have a kitchen -dining room-living room.
    I did a major refurbishment last year and had the entire ground floor tiled with the same tile.
    It's bright, non slip and so easy to keep clean.
    It is a large area and wasn't cheap, but it's a lifetime job and I'm very happy with it.

Take your time to make the right decision and you won't regret it.

15q906u.jpg

I recommend Hofmeister in Portlaoise.

http://hofmeistertiles.ie/catalogue/kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Marmoleum is also an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I'd look at karndean or amtico, depending on budget! It's a high end vinyl, it isn't cheap, but it's got a long life! I've heard great things about them both. I don't have them myself though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I was looking into Marmoleum and Amtico and was wondering about the a rough sqm price because I can't find anything about it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We went for large polished porcelain tiles.

Served us well so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I waited nearly 4 months for the concrete on my new build to be dry enough to latex before laying amtico. Am delighted with it!
    Light travertine spacia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Grawns wrote: »
    I waited nearly 4 months for the concrete on my new build to be dry enough to latex before laying amtico. Am delighted with it!
    Light travertine spacia
    We had amtico spaces put in our hall last week, and I’m delighted with it. The tiles in our kitchen and utility are only a few years old, but I’ve been eyeing them all week and wondering how much longer I’ll have to live with them before I replace them with amtico!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I think for kitchens that porcelain tiles are the way to go.
    Although that vinyl is quite nice too.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 19,935 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I used cork for my kitchen. Warm under unshod feet and if you drop a glass it's unlikely to break.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

We went with wood effect porcelain in the end and I am not 100% delighted with them. Yes they look nice, but they're difficult to keep clean and always look a bit matte and lifeless.
    Will probably go for something else a bit down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭tenbob1

I always thought that Marmoleum looks to "industrial", in a domestic kitchen, thats just me though. Amtico floors are top notch products, look the part and are pretty easy to keep. Much warmer underfoot than tiles as well. Amtico no longer allow floors to be sold online, you need to go into your local retailer for a look, they will also give you a price on marmoleum.

Advertisement