Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet Issue - "Your Connection is Not Private"

• 21-09-2017 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone can help me.

I have having problems with my WiFi Internet connection.

When I try to use google the following message comes up:

Your Connection is Not Private
    Attackers might be trying to steal your information.

I have googled this and found solutions for when this happens to just the PC and not internet on phone.
    But in my case it is happening on both my PC and my phone. I am work now and the internet on my phone is fine but when I was at home this morning the problem was still happening on my phone so I am thinking it must be something wrong local to my home broadband??

does anyone know why this is happening and what I can do to solve it.

I have tried rebooting my router and it works ok for a few minutes again but then same thing happens all over again.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Thanks for the trip to Vegas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Bloody loudmouth, tell the world connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭trafficlight

Your Face wrote: »
    Thanks for the trip to Vegas.
    ?? wrong thread by any chance??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is a known issue with certain Linksys routers. What model do you have?

It's a DNS cache corruption issue on the router. The only way to fix it is to hardcode the DNS servers on every device (you can't change the DHCP config), or replace the router.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Thread moved from AH to the Broadband forum where the OP will hopefully get a proper answer.

Please have a scan of the local charter before posting.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your response Seamus. The router I have is a Netgear WNR2200.

Can you tell me how to do this??

Log into the router first and check if there's a firmware update. If there is, update it.

See if that sorts it.

seamus wrote: »
    Log into the router first and check if there's a firmware update. If there is, update it.

See if that sorts it.
    will try that when I get home this evening. Thanks

That particular router has a security hole that's patched by this firmware:
    https://kb.netgear.com/28036/WNR2200-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-96

So you want to be on that version or later.

If you've a bog standard setup at home and haven't enabled remote access or anything, then it's unlikely to be a hack and is just a corrupt DNS cache. But worth ensuring you're patched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

A 'tongue in cheek' poke at hacking card details through unsecure connection & purchasing said trip on OPs card ?

• Advertisement

That particular router has a security hole that's patched by this firmware:
    https://kb.netgear.com/28036/WNR2200-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-96

So you want to be on that version or later.

If you've a bog standard setup at home and haven't enabled remote access or anything, then it's unlikely to be a hack and is just a corrupt DNS cache. But worth ensuring you're patched.
    As far as I know I have a standard set up but I have wireless connection as in I can connect to mobile phone and the laptop via WiFi. Does this mean that I have remote access enabled (apologies, I am a bit green to this sort of thing)

This could also be something as simple as the date being incorrect on the PC.

As far as I know I have a standard set up but I have wireless connection as in I can connect to mobile phone and the laptop via WiFi. Does this mean that I have remote access enabled (apologies, I am a bit green to this sort of thing)
    No, remote access means that you can log into the Router control panel from outside of your house.

It's disabled by default, so you'd have to know what you were doing, in order to enable it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Wrong forum originally perhaps?:rolleyes:

No, remote access means that you can log into the Router control panel from outside of your house.

It's disabled by default, so you'd have to know what you were doing, in order to enable it.
    Hi, so I updated the Firmware and it seemed to be fine for a while but then the same thing happened again :( (note that time and date is correct on the PC)

Any other ideas what I could do?

Can you view the SSL certificate? It might show if something has tampered with it. Google's SSL cert should be self-issued. If it's anything else, it could be caused by, for example, an anti-virus program with SSL inspection enabled or malware.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-pcs-dns-settings-windows-10#change_dns_control_panel

Change your DNS servers to Google's public DNS. That has to be done for each machine that's using the network though.

The only long-term fix is to replace the router. Because it's happening on both your PC and phone, it's not being caused by anti-virus software or malware.

Thanks I will try that.

Advertisement