Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you go through every page when a Hot Topic comes up?

Options
  • 21-09-2017 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I found a recent Thread titled, "MyTaxi - booking charge" and saw 9 pages of posts. Now, do most people read every single post on 9 pages? Or do you skip to the last few pages?

I understand if I don't read them all, that I may miss a point and then reiterate it by mistake with my own reply. Then for me, I feel like there's more chance of me reading through them if they were all on the same page, or scroll down and populate automatically. Seeing NINE pages is off putting and makes me skip most of the posts.

How do others feel about this? And will there be a feature to just have all the posts on a scroll down automatic type of page? :o

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I skim most posts, way too many posts in AH to be reading them all 100% :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Set "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" to 40 posts in page. Instantly, you've reduced the number of pages by half ;)

🤪

If you update your post per thread to 50 then it becomes so much easier to read through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

BaRcOe wrote: »
    I found a recent Thread titled, "MyTaxi - booking charge" and saw 9 pages of posts. Now, do most people read every single post on 9 pages? Or do you skip to the last few pages?

I understand if I don't read them all, that I may miss a point and then reiterate it by mistake with my own reply. Then for me, I feel like there's more chance of me reading through them if they were all on the same page, or scroll down and populate automatically. Seeing NINE pages is off putting and makes me skip most of the posts.

How do others feel about this? And will there be a feature to just have all the posts on a scroll down automatic type of page? :o

That thread doesn't have even one page. I mostly skim threads occasionally reading short posts that have a lot of "thanks". The more thanks it has, the longer the post can be too.

It's a weird kind of post length / to #thanks ratio that exists only in my mind.

To answer your question though, there are some threads that I would - the MyTaxi booking charge was somewhat interesting. Though at a certain point the number of posts and pages gets overly intimidating so it would have to be a subject that I'm particularly interested in.

There's also a fun AH game to play. Click into a thread with a lot of posts, read the first page or so just to get an idea of subject matter...then skip to the last couple of pages to see how extreme it's gotten.

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Set "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" to 40 posts in page. Instantly, you've reduced the number of pages by half ;)
    If you update your post per thread to 50 then it becomes so much easier to read through.

Wait what...you can do that... How?? smh...
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    To answer your question though, there are some threads that I would - the MyTaxi booking charge was somewhat interesting. Though at a certain point the number of posts and pages gets overly intimidating so it would have to be a subject that I'm particularly interested in.

There's also a fun AH game to play. Click into a thread with a lot of posts, read the first page or so just to get an idea of subject matter...then skip to the last couple of pages to see how extreme it's gotten.

True yeah, if you're truely a subject matter expert then yes, read them all. Haha...sounds like a fun game! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I set posts per page to 5, after that sh1t gets way too serious for my liking

BaRcOe wrote: »
    Wait what...you can do that... How?? smh...

True yeah, if you're truely a subject matter expert then yes, read them all. Haha...sounds like a fun game! :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions - Number of Posts to Show Per Page under Thread Display Options. Ctrl F will find it quickly

🤪

Advertisement